156 JTS lusso misfire - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter

County: Glasgow

Member car:

alfa 159 jts

Help 156 JTS lusso misfire

Hi all, I am a new Alfa 156 JTS 2.0 lusso owner, and I must admit I got it cheap now I know why (lol), It has a misfire, I put a code reader on it and it said misfire 2+3 , so I ran a compression test and all cylinders were surprisingly good, so I cleared the codes then it came up with throttle position sensor, so I changed it, checked the resistance of all the coil packs, and all were similar, then the code reader said random misfire 1+2, swapped the coil packs around and still comes up with random misfire 1+2, so I put a new battery in it and some good injector cleaner, then cleaned the 2 big elec connectors at the bulkhead and the 1 under the dash , checked the lambda sensors all wires good cond, and tested to within spec, (in autodata), disconnected the MAF with no change, still comes up with random misfire 1+2 , any help will be greatly appreciated, I need the Alfa on the road because my saab 93 se turbo needs a timing chain and balance shaft kit which I'll be doing this weekend when the stuff comes in from E-bay, so I'm car-less unless I can get my new wee baby running, Ohh and also the gearstick seems tight left to right, (not a selespeed), I put some wd40 down into the bottom of the gearstick with no effect, please tell me it's a simple fix as I'm going to keep the Alfa and give the saab to my wee brother,
I know this has probably been covered before but after 100 odd pages of the forum it's time to ask the experts,
the car is on a 52 plate but is a 2003 facelift model 2.0 petrol JTS Lusso,

Please HELP!!!
Guvsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 11-06-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 159 jts

I have also checked all the vacuum pipes with no leaks, and the spark plug holes are clean with no oil in them.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 JTS

How did you check the coil resistance - I need to check mime and don't know what I need or the resistance level
AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

GT DIEsel

did you change the spark plugs?
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa GT

The gearstick thing, probably the top hat washers on the gear selector rod on the gearbox underneath the battery box. Easy enough to do, do a search on here for a guide. The misfire, no idea! I just had one logged although no real symptoms when driving. Pulled out the coil pencil in question, no visible damage, cleaned the plug ends, sprayed some injector cleaner in the intake and cleared the error. No MCSF light yet, touchwood! Have a feeling my thermostat/temp sender might be duff, that coupled with too many short journeys could just be doing its worst. I read here that injectors are a common issue and also excessive carbon build up, if that is something further to check?
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 159 jts

quick update, yes I have changed the spark plugs, and to test the coil packs I used an electrical tester set to ohms and checked the resistance between all 4 of the pins on the coil pack untill i got a reading between 2 of the pins, then tested the same pins on the other coil packs, I could'nt find what the resistance is supposed to be, but if all the coil packs are simmilar they are probably fine, if 1 was different from the rest then you have a faulty 1, as for the update, I went and bought an odb2 to usb connector ( 2 of actually, 1st 1 did'nt work) and plugged it into the lappy, It came up with 2 faults , temp sensor and MAF meter fault, so I'm going to get some new ones today, for some reason my generic code reader would'nt pick up those faults, just the random misfire, the cooling fans come on when started from cold, so that's when you can tell the temp sensor is needing replaced.
thanks for the info on the gearstick problem, I'll have a look at it when it stops Peeing down outside.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 159 jts

Fitted a brand new MAF and temp sensor, idle was alot better, but as soon as it was revved above 4000rpm it started running crap and the dreaded beeping started telling me to go to dealer, I put the code reader on it , p0302 & p0303 random missfire, so I swapped the plugs and coil packs round and reset the ecu and tps cleared the codes, but still the same codes are coming up, missfire cylinder 2+3.

Any Ideas anyone?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Dorset
It will be the injectors, it always is on the JTS's as they often give trouble. Best to remove the injectors and get them reconditioned. It's a pig of a job but it will cure your running problems
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 09-07-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

alfa 159 jts

Thanks for the info I was hoping it was'nt the injectors, is it easier to do the injectors by taking the head off ?, , and do a decoke at the same time.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Dorset
You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the injectors by undoing the top engine mount and the driver’s side lower engine mount so you can support the engine and roll it forward to gain access.

It's more work to remove the head but it would benefit from a good clean up and then you can fit a new timing belt etc. If you intend to keep the car for some time it would be beneficial although not essential. Make sure you replace the intake manifold gasket too.

Cheers

Loz

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , jts , lusso , misfire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page