Brera 2.2 JTS SV - poor throttle response & occasional hesitation. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Thumbs Up Brera 2.2 JTS SV - poor throttle response & occasional hesitation.

Hi all. I've just bought one of these and find that the throttle response is quite poor. For example, when pulling away in 1st from a standstill, it's difficult to bring the revs up gradually - nothing seems to happen at first, an then there is a step-change from idle, to @ 1500 rpm, or thereabouts. There is also occasional hesitation when accelerating from @2000 rpm. Could just be me needing to get used to the car, but I have heard that this can be a problem with this engine and that re-mapping is the cure. Can anyone confirm or deny this, or give any other explanations / advice? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...formation.html

Various fixes, mine was fixed with a better set of exhaust backboxes (brera S boxes picked up on ebay), some people go down the remap route, apparently best scenario is new exhaust AND remap. Expect to part with close to a grand for that from a company like alfatune.

See the link above for more peoples experiences.

Sean
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...formation.html

Various fixes, mine was fixed with a better set of exhaust backboxes (brera S boxes picked up on ebay), some people go down the remap route, apparently best scenario is new exhaust AND remap. Expect to part with close to a grand for that from a company like alfatune.

See the link above for more peoples experiences.

Sean
AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

They are all like this. Remap will cure.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 27-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks guys - the remap is obviously the way to go, then. Any idea on a price for that? Does it also increase BHP and therefore require insurance company notification, or is it just to cure the particular issue?
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Fitted the Pro Drive rear silencers last month and they have made a massive improvement to the car. Weird thing though.......I decided to try Shell V-power performance unleaded, to see if would improve things still further and guess what? The hesitation returned, although nowhere near as bad - and the car generally didn't run as well as before. I had waited until the fuel warning light came on, before filling up, so there wasn't much of a 'mixture' in the tank. I also drove 250+ miles before coming to this conclusion. I filled back up yesterday with standard unleaded and the car was immediately smoother - like when I first changed the silencers - weird eh?. I still might go for the remap to totally eradicate the issues, but i'd tell anyone to try the silencers first. Got mine from ebay, for a fraction of the retail price.
AO Member

County: Ceredigion

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

New rear silencers and remap

Hi,
Got the new rear boxes, not fitted yet tho.
Where did you get the remap done and how much did it cost?

I've looked on two sites, Autodelta and Angel Tuning, neither list 2.2 remap only a 3.2 remap.
Puzzled.

Cheers,

Buzz
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
There is now a much cheaper fix!

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=723617

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
dc
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

I'd hold off on the drill cure mentioned above. I tried it and although it seemed to help at first the hesitation seems to be back to how it used to be...
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
I looked into remaps etc but it seemed no guarantee it would work,at my last service I decided to fit a pipercross air filter,the difference it made was unbelievable four months later the car still drives smoothly the fuel consumption is up I was really at the stage where I was going to sell it as I was so frustrated the best £40 I've ever spent on a car
AO Member

County: Ceredigion

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Red Face Flat spots

Hi.
Good show it's sorted your motor out.
I had a remap done to try to cure the flat spots and 'ballerina feet' syndrome required to stop me stalling and looking like a naff driver. I can do that without the car helping, lol. The remap didn't do anything. I fitted a piper cross air filter and the MPG has increased, tho the flat spots in acceleration are still there and are a pain.

She's going in for a new 'electronic steering lock' this week, cos I've got the dreaded 'skull and crossbones', (steering wheel and key), showing in the display. I've had no steering lock for over 12 months. Tried a few of the solutions suggested on the forum. Dealer diagnosed it as the electronic steering lock, tho, did put a caveat on the diagnosis, saying it could prove not to be this and may then be the wiring......best get the bottomless piggy bank ready just in case.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
That's why I didn't bother with a remap,sorry to hear you still have flat spots when accelerating mine is not bad at all but still could do with a bit more power it's a pity there seems to be nothing that can achieve this, an extra 20 bhp would make all the difference still I suppose I could just get the diesel, now there's a thought:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
brera , hesitation , jts , occasional , poor , response , throttle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page