1.8TS loss of power + missfire + sucking noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
1.8TS loss of power + missfire + sucking noise

I have a 1.8 156 twin spark it has no power what so ever. It idles ok, misses a beat every so often but mainly idles fine. No perminant warning lights other than when I've caused them by disconnecting bits. When driven is ok on very light throttle but try to accelerate and there is a distinct missfire and a loud sucking noise from the engine + flashing EML. It then returns back to normal when you back off the throttle.

I've tried the coil packs off my 2.0gtv with little to no change.
Disconnected the AFM with no change. Removed, inspected and lightly cleaned as well.
Unbolted the centre cat and it accelerated slightly quicker but still with missfire and too loud to hear if the sucking noise was there. Also tried with cat connected and rear lambda removed and it felt the same.

Now there's a chance that the cat/exhaust is slightly restrictive but I don't think that is where the fault is. I'm sure there is a air leak on the intake system so I will strip it appart tomorrow and check. I have had a quick feel of the intake pipe and can't feel anything but I've heard of the manifolds cracking. I can't find any info as too where they crack. Can someone confirm where this happens. also has anyone ever had the trumpets split on the manifold as that was my thoughts?

Sorry I went on a bit there, thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Grahameo

Two of the simplest checks you can do is:

1. Remove the whole induction pipe assembly from the car, remove the maf body though. You want the rubber pipe from the maf to the throttle body and the plastic pipe from the air filter to the maf.
Now cover all the open ends with rubber inspection gloves and seal with rubber bands, making sure its a very good seal. Place them into a bucket of water like you would with a bicycle inner tube and check for air bubbles escaping. It should be obvious if there is any.... Usually the rubber pipe has tiny splits.
Not the end of the world if it is.... Revert to bicycle repair methods... You can get a repair kit from any pound shop and what you are after is the vulcanising fluid (rubber glue).
Dry off the pipe thoroughly and open the split if there is any carefully. Now smear the glue into the split and hold together for a few mins. It will be a stronger join than it was originally as it welds rubber... Double check by repeating the water test.
I would also invest in new jubilee clips instead of the original metal fixed slide clips on the pipe work, they can loose tension over time.

2. While the engine is cold, get a helper to cover the rear exhaust tip with their hand using a thick safety glove (to prevent burns) while you let the engine tick over, only covering it for ten seconds at a time to prevent back pressure building up. You can then inspect the manifold and whole exhaust system for leaks... Again, it will be obvious by the noise where it is leaking mate.
An exhaust centre can do this check for you and it's usually FREE with no obligation to buy so abuse it if you can

That's the two thing I would start with... If you have eliminated both options then we can move on to other things, like the plastic inlet manifold which rarely cracks but possible... Plastic welding putty like araldite can do the trick there

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Have you checked obvious things like no oil/water in spark plug bores? Sometimes if the rocker cover gasket leaks it can cause problems.
TS Engines are prone to this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 21-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Well I found the missfire. Cylinder 2 coil pack was on it's way out so with that replaced the missfire is gone

But

Still has severe lack of power. I know it's only a 1.8 but I had a 1.1 Colt a while ago and it was a missile compared to the 156. It's now clear of engine faults so I think either the cam timing is out or the exhaust is blocked. I think the MAF is ok as power drops off even more with it disconnected indicating that it is controlling the fuel mixture ok when plugged in.

The GTV needs a cambelt soon so I'll get the cam locks and check that first.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Hi i have the same problem, did you ever sort it out??

cheers

Rob
AO Silver Member

County: hell
also check the brakes vacuum hose that goes behind the throttle body. it has to be very very tight.
http://forum.alfa145.com/uploads/pos...1164498153.jpg

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
18ts , loss , missfire , noise , power , sucking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page