belt job question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

belt job question

My 147 1.6 43K is gonna go in for a cambelt job pretty soon. To have the AUX belt and tyensioners changed adds an extra 130 quid on top of the bill for the cambelt job.
I just want to know if it is worth doing the aux belt aswell, we all know what would happen if the cambelt went but what would be the ramifications if the aux belt went, what does the aux belt do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Re: belt job question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzey
My 147 1.6 43K is gonna go in for a cambelt job pretty soon. To have the AUX belt and tyensioners changed adds an extra 130 quid on top of the bill for the cambelt job.
I just want to know if it is worth doing the aux belt aswell, we all know what would happen if the cambelt went but what would be the ramifications if the aux belt went, what does the aux belt do??
the tensioners should be done but it should be included in the price for the timing belt change i think....dont know about aux belt but i am getting that done with my timing belt/ tensioners/ variator
Taz-Mania

hi guys, my 156 1.8 is going into a local garage next week to change the cambelt and tensioner/bearings/idler and variator ( its done 90 k) can anyone shed more light on this belt ? whats the service interval ?

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

How much you paying for the job Orange?? My quote is 495 for all belts and variator
AO Silver Member

IIRC the auxiliary belt is completely separate to the timing belts. The timing belts, tensioners and variator are all worth doing at the same time. I left my auxiliary belt until much later (~105K?) As you can inspect it easily, and if it breaks it doesn't take out the cambelt etc., you just lose your alternator / air con drive etc. When I changed the auxialiary belt, I needed to do the tensioner as well (it was that which seized and caused the belt to wear).
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzey
How much you paying for the job Orange?? My quote is 495 for all belts and variator
with the 60k sevice included with timing belt/variator/tensioners/waterpump if it needs doing.......630 quid

been to reg vardy's near where i live....850 quid for same work to be done
i am thinking of waitin for the 60k service as it aint done that milage yet so it would cost me about 450 to 500 quid to get the belts/tensioners /variator/oil and filter...

Last edited by mr.orange; 02-04-05 at 10:48.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , job , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page