accelaration flatspot 156 2.0 ts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-12 Thread Starter

County: Bridgend
accelaration flatspot 156 2.0 ts

Hi all like a few of you i have an accelaration flatspot with my 156, now ive read a few posts and they seem very helpful so ill be trying these things on the weekend. thanks...

just to clarify though,
what are the usual suspects and can a simple oil and filter change, air filter change and spark plug check and regap/replace possibly put right this problem as ive just recently purchased it and noticed that it hasnt been serviced in a while, also is there any service or workshop manuals any of you recomend as i noticed that you cannot get a haynes manual for most alfa's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Herefordshire
well i would first service it, depending on milage i would defiantly do plugs (they will cost you).

if that fails to cure it maf's are a usual suspect for poor performance you can loose up to 20bhp + on a twinny

hope this helps
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Try running the car for a few minutes with the MAF disconnected ... the engine mgmt light will come on but if it accelerates without the flatspot, there's the problem.

You shouldn't (can't) regap the plugs ... they are preset NGK Platinum plugs ... not cheap, but last 60000 miles.

Otherwise you may need to get the car hooked up to AlfaDiag or FiatEcuScan and see if anything else shows up.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 18-05-12 Thread Starter

cheers boys sourced the problems lol, gave it a full service but one of the ht leads was cracked and the rubber around it split (that seemed to start a fire on the coil pack and now waiting for fresh parts cars off the road) but also there was a split in the air intake pipe so getting a fresh one of those also. touch wood it will be problem solved. 13yr old car so plan is to nurse it back to health. one good thing about all this is we will be cleaning up the intake pipes engine flush etc (get rid of 13 years worth of coke build up aint it touch wood it will be up to the hp it was when it left the factory floor. if not then as close as.

heres a mad bit of trivia for u. the facelift version which my brother has, has less hp than the pre facelift model (mine) should make for some interesting racing, and a pretty gutted little brother when i totally whop his arse.
AO Gold Member

It's only 5 hp difference ... not that much
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 27-05-12 Thread Starter

Enough to be half a car length or more ahead at the line thou hey, lol one of those races that will sort the men from the boys. Cars running again sweeter than what it was thank god didn't set me back too much either my m8s a mechanic so had the labour well cheap. Just can't seem to hook it up to the obd connector I bought its got a port but still won't read it off the programs I had, is it worth getting alfadiag (as the programs are multicar) or do u think cos of its age it won't read anyway (heard that its a bit hit and hiss with pre 2001 models)
AO Gold Member

You will be lucky to get a standard ODB code reader to work on a pre 2001 156 TS ... you need a VAG-COM KKL interface cable and AlfaDiag or FiatEcuScan (and you should be able to use the free version on the TS)... and a laptop to run it on ...
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 28-05-12 Thread Starter

Cheers gazza. I'll look out for one.
AO Gold Member

Well if you want a cable and pre-wired to work with airbags and ABS as well as engine, PM rearbear on here ... he makes them up ... fully tested.

If it's a laptop .. fleabay?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , accelaration , flatspot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page