Best diesel? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 30-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Best diesel?

With my 156 possibly dying (see other thread...) I was looking around at 156s, GTs and Breras...probably a diesel but with good performance.
A dealer was very dismissive of the 1.9 Alfa diesel - is there a problem with these or was it just dealer FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) trying to sell something else?

Are there engines to avoid, or engines that stand out?

Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

I have a 2005 156 jtd 1.9 16v and 150bhp. I got the car in Jan 08 with 18120 miles on the clock. Now over 97200 miles. I have changed the timing belt and water pump twice, fitted a new rad on first belt change, replaced the thermostat last year, engine oil and filter always changed at a MAX 10k interval, fuel filter changed yearly, soon to replace stock air filter with K&N replacement. Clutch is getting near the end of its life but I won't sweat over that. IMO the 156 1.9 16v mjet is a barnstorming engine! It has its issues but so do BMW, Audi et al. Regular servicing is key to a happy relationship
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

The performance and economy is your priority then the 20V 156 is probably your quickest option as the 156 is much lighter than the later cars and gives much better economy (I get a min of 38 in town and around 44 mpg for a tankful of longer runs). The 156 also has the advantage of no DPF and seems to suffer less gearbox failures than in the 159. The 20V is, however, more fragile than the 16V (esp driveshafts) and hard to work on so will be more expensive to maintain. The 1.9 Alfa diesel (used in Vauxhalls) is a great engine if looked after properly and is probably the sensible bet. An older 2.4 10V may also be worth considering if the age of the car is not a big issue for you.

Keith
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Agreed the 1.9 JTDM is great engine, even better when it's remapped. I've got a 2005 147 1.9 JTDM 16V remapped to 185 bhp. Power, Economy and as much as fun to drive as as my 2005 BMW 535d
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
My 156 1.9 Sport 150 had a cracking engine.
Looooooooaaaadddddds of torque.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
The 1.9s are fine but you cant beat the 2.4s
VO2Max

I spank the arse off mine and it flies - and I still get 47mpg. It's a cracking engine with a remap.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
The 1.9s are fine but you cant beat the 2.4s
I looked at a 2.4 but the road tax over here makes it a lot more expensive not to mention the known issues with driveshafts etc. But I do agree, the 2.4 is awesome
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 04-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

>the road tax over here makes it a lot more expensive not to mention the known issues with driveshafts

DVLA say £195 a year for UK, which is a bit less than my current 1.8TS.
Also says 'Fuel Type: HEAVY OIL' bless em, still think should have man with red flag walking in front!

CHeers
Keith
AO Member

County: Meath
personally I would go for the 1.9 jtdm, I have one and i cant believe the power of it, its just unbelievable, then again, the previous owner did fit the turbo from the 2.4 on to it so maybe thats why. I hammer the thing along and im still getting between 45 and 60 mpg. and Leitrim155 its not so bad on the tax either, i went from a 147 1.6 to the 156 1.9 "140 brake" and the way i see it is that the little bit of extra money id be spending on tax, i will have saved by the end of the year on diesel, and also my insurance went down €50 when i switched from petrol to diesel even though ones a 1.6 and ones a 1.9 with pretty much twice the power.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howayasham041 View Post
personally I would go for the 1.9 jtdm, I have one and i cant believe the power of it, its just unbelievable, then again, the previous owner did fit the turbo from the 2.4 on to it so maybe thats why. I hammer the thing along and im still getting between 45 and 60 mpg. and Leitrim155 its not so bad on the tax either, i went from a 147 1.6 to the 156 1.9 "140 brake" and the way i see it is that the little bit of extra money id be spending on tax, i will have saved by the end of the year on diesel, and also my insurance went down €50 when i switched from petrol to diesel even though ones a 1.6 and ones a 1.9 with pretty much twice the power.
I can't complain about the road tax for the 1.9. I mean, in Irish terms it is favorable compared to the 2.4. I do agree with you....I ran a 155 2.0 ts 16v for six years before I got my 156. That brilliant car cost me a fortune in petrol etc...and the same road tax as the 156.
On balance, imo the 1.9 makes excellent sense in terms of cost, economy, power and then a remap for more, much more power and fun
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

I did fancy a 2.4 159 it was on my list. I eventually (as you can see ) bought a 1.9 JTDm GT. I am not mad keen on diesels but it does go well and sounds very **** .
I think the power is up on the 2.4 159 vs a 156 (in standard form) I witnessed the 2.4 in a Brera and it was damn quick and sounded quite good too for a diesel.

I have heard in the 159 (2.4) the MPG is around the low 30's.
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Remapped 1.9 jtdm 150 is the way to go, I LOVE mine. Loads of torque and I get nearly 50 mpg on a sensible motorway run! No brainer!
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 31-05-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just for info, I went with the 2.4 JTD. Getting 46 MPG, which is a good bit better than the 34 the 1.8TS did, though I think MPG drops off at motorway++ speeds more than the 1.8 did. Maybe.

Also tried a Brera 2.4 JTDM ... 210 BHP instead of 150 in the JTD but didn't feel that much faster, and had a noticable lag before the turbo kicked in, the 156 JTD more progressive. And the Brera's a heavier car.

Also tried an Audi TT turbo - felt MUCH faster than the Brera, being a lot lighter. But fantasy really...and ten times the price of the 156!

Cheers
Keith
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
One that's in another marque & preferably not started
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 01-06-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
One that's in another marque & preferably not started
Agree in principle, but in practice and for a high mileage a JTD makes sense ...
Cheers
Keith

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
diesel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page