First post. I've had my 2005 156 JTD 1.9 8v for a year and a half now and been pretty happy with it overall, however it has developed the following problem:
- Reduced power, almost a misfire with only partial compression of 2nd cylinder
- Loud knocking
- Black smoke on acceleration
I removed the cam cover to see what might be causing the issue and have supplied some pics at finding the second cylinder cams worn down. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the likely cause of my worn cam lobes on the 2nd cylinder?
Here is some info about the car:
- Oil change 6 month ago, although car only used daily for 4 of those months due to job redundancy
- Head rebuilt 15K ago by a reputable Alfa specialist
- Oil and coolant levels normal
Is it likely to be a slipped cam belt?
Is a problem with the grade of oil used at last change? (as was suggested by a local mechanic)
Will the worn metal be a serious cause for concern to the rest of the engine (as had to drive it home for 30 miles or so).
Is this a new head or a repair existing head with new camshaft and lifters job?
I'd appreciate any thoughts or stories of similar experiences.
Thanks for your time