Alfa GT 1.9JTD - Very Spongey Clutch & cannot change gear when engine running!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter

County: Oxfordshire
Alfa GT 1.9JTD - Very Spongey Clutch & cannot change gear when engine running!!

Hi,

Can anyone please advise me?

I have an Alfa GT 1.9JTD 2004 with circa 85k on the clock. It's broke and the symptoms are:

Clutch = little or no biting point
Cannot get car into gear when engine running
Can get car into gear when engine NOT running
When stuck in traffic yesterday even with clutch fully depressed car still wanted to keep moving almost like an auto!

I am guessing that due to the problem being worse when the car is running and hot it could be more of a hydraulics system problem rather than plate and I know it's defo not the cable snapped but maybe stretched?? So answers on a postcard please ........!!!!

Slave, master or whole new clutch?? Thanks mucho grando

(Sorry for urgency also but it's my commuter to work car and need to get it into garage ASAP but am a bit bored with the usual garage seeing a female walk in and seeing the $$$$ signs light up in their eyes!! Just not sure who to trust my baby with!! Been burnt badly once already by a company I will not name!! Living somewhere that I am not familiar with and hubby is out in the sand pit doing the Queen & Country thing no no advice available here!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 15 Old 13-04-12 Thread Starter

Okay so have done a bit of ringing around and have spoken with Palmer & Philips and also with French & Italian Car Centre, I know there are a lot of you guys also based in the Oxford area so can anyone recommend either of these garages??

Maybe we could arrange a meet (when I have a car that I can drive )!!!!

Many thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I d say it was the slave cylinder. Not an expert though.
(Post Link) post #4 of 15 Old 14-04-12 Thread Starter

Thanks for that, it's gone to Palmer & Phillips in Oxford who got really good reviews on here so hopefully in good hands, just hoping you and I are right in our guesses and that the bill isn't going to be too huge!! Saying that I have noted that a lot of people have said that if it's the slave, the master won't be too far off going either so not sure whether I should get the master done too if it is the slave that has gone??

Lol, decisions decisions!! Just want the best for my gorg motor!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 14-04-12 Thread Starter

Oooh and love your car, how do you find it on fuel as I was thinking of another 147 but in diesel as last one was the 2.0L Lusso which worked out too juicy for 72 mile commute every day of the week!! That was why I got the GT JTD but am feeling really guilty bumping up the mileage so much and also the twice daily drive over one very narrow toll bridge with loorries and buses hammering it towards me in the other direction!!! The 147 is not quite so wide!!!! Thanks X
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
High mileage diesels are normal ... that's why people by them. I was doing 100 every day a few years back so opted for a one year old 1.4HDi Pug 206 with 6000 on the clock ... that was back in 2003 and it's now got 99K on the clock. It's more for the kids to use now to learn and as their first car.

The 55 mpg just couldn't be matched by the 156 2.0 TS ...

Our 1.4 MiTo gets closer .. that did 47MPG on a run to Brighton and back last Friday. Mostly motorway until I got back to Staines on the M25 then cut across to Windsor and rejoined the M4 there rather than wait for hours in 4 solid lanes of traffic!

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 16-04-12 at 14:02.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

99,000 ? Thats nothing - My last 147 went to 130,000 (brought at 95,000) and was never running better, til someone drove into it and wrote it off.

Joss's 156 is at about 180,000 and still going strong. a diesel will easily do 500,000 miles if maintained properly.

People just dont buy cars with 100,000 or more on the clock, cos they stupidly think theyre at the end of their life. This is nonsense, but it does mean you can get a decent car for peanuts cos everyone is scared of them !
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
Garage
@OP slave...... if slave is fine then master......
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Oooh and love your car, how do you find it on fuel as I was thinking of another 147 but in diesel as last one was the 2.0L Lusso which worked out too juicy for 72 mile commute every day of the week!! That was why I got the GT JTD but am feeling really guilty bumping up the mileage so much and also the twice daily drive over one very narrow toll bridge with loorries and buses hammering it towards me in the other direction!!! The 147 is not quite so wide!!!! Thanks X
Ta !

Get about 45 overall, slightly better than a GT cos its heavier. (Same engine as yours, but 140 version).
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
Garage
You get no MPG out of it currently though as the driveshaft is missing
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

AO Member

County: -
Sounds like you need a new clutch to me
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Try master and/or slave first, if doesnt improve, THEN try clutch.
(Post Link) post #14 of 15 Old 01-05-12 Thread Starter

HI Guys,

Thanks for the replies, got it fixed now, it was the clutch and the dual mass flywheel AND the slave cylinder in the end so £1135 later!!! It was just worn out!!

I was a bit worried that being a female the garage may try to pull me a yarn but asked them to give me my parts back and I had them checked out and they were as Palmer & Philips said totally worn out

Must admit Palmer & Philips were great and would defo recommend them and use them again

I'm only up to 87,500 miles in my GT and my 2002 147 2.0l Lusso had about 150,000 by the time I sold it, personally I think that high mileage is a bit null and void these days as engines seem built to last for a lot longer than they used to be!! Hell my old old old Citroen ZX 1.9JTD (which I believe is the same engine as what is in the Alfa 1.9JTD??) was at a snip of a 249,000 when I bought it, I put it's 1st replacement clutch in it at 315,000 (and it had been used to tow a handglider) then sold it at 375,000 for £110 more than I bought it for!!

Guess plans to get a little 147 diesel to run to work and back in have now been scuppered as the money I had put aside has just paid for my new clutch!!!! Ah well I love driving my GT, and think I may feel a little cheated having to leave it at home every day!! Hell I'm the one who shows up at work every day with a beeming great grin on my face and a few waaahoooos under my belt by 8am
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Cool, glad you got it sorted and verified the parts were deffo worn out !

375,00 ! Thats a good old sum. (its not the same engine by the way, the ZX used Peugeot's XUD engine)

The GT is a 147 coupe built on the 5cm longer 156 platform (all 3 cars share the same running gear), so sure, a 147 would save you a few mpg over the GT cos its a bit lighter, but not much, you d really have 2 slightly different versions of the same car if you got a 147 to run around in. I reckon youre best of having just the GT anyway

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
19jtd , alfa , change , clutch , engine , gear , running , spongey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page