cambelt TDC question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

cambelt TDC question

Hi guys...

currently doing the cambelt on my 156 v6 (cf3)..

i've stripped everything ready to do the timing tomorrow..

i assume that the TDC it wants is on the power stroke - i.e. cly1 intake and exhaust valves all closed..

there are 2 TDC events each cycle, so am i correct in timing it to TDC #2, power stroke - valves closed...

otherwise it would be 180 degrees out of phase?

chris155 did an excellent "how to" post here - but was silent on the issue.

thanks

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

gtv

your right in thinking there are 2 cycles of crankshaft to one camshaft . when the camlock tools line up on the cams then you will find that it is on the correct tdc on cylinder 1
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

thanks, i figured i'd be checking w/ the blocks as well, but just in case timing is out a little, etc... we'll see.
AO Member

County: Australian Capital Territory
Hi Wanski,

I have been following your thread on ausalfa about your cambelt change. I realise that you have worked it out but will add the following for any one else.

The cam locks will only fit if the engine is on the compression/ignition TDC for no.1 cylinder. If it is on the exhaust/intake tdc then they won't fit.

To quote from the Sealey VS4890 kit instructions:

"Timing belt replacement is carried out with the crankshaft at TDC, established by using TDC Position Tool to determine the piston position of No.1 cylinder. Once TDC is established a visual check is required to confirm that correct camshaft timing position has been achieved. The reference marks on the rear of the camshafts should face towards the centre of each cylinder head and be in line with the cylinder head upper surface." Install cam locks then: "Once the crankshaft and camshafts are ’set’ in their ’timed’ positions the belt tensioner securing bolts can be loosened and the timing belt removed."

Don't try turning the crank pulley while the cambelt is removed, other than miniscule turns to reconfirm TDC. If you turn it to far the pistons will hit the valves and you will now know the definition of the term "interference engine" , but without the catastophic engine failure Make sure your battery is disconnected so that noone tries to start the car

Full link to the sealey instructions:
http://www.tooled-up.com/artwork/Pro...AINSvs4890.pdf

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , question , tdc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page