cambelt - which parts to change? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
cambelt - which parts to change?

Need to know which parts must be changed at 72k service on 3.0 v6.
Any definitive answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
Re: cambelt - which parts to change?

The lot.
stevo166

Well Happy Re: cambelt - which parts to change?

hI

My car is just having that done as I type.
I have replaced everything, thats the belt and all the tensioners. Plus the multi belt which is the alternator etc belt. Are you doing it your self ??
If not and you are looking for a good mecahnic in the south london area I can put you in touch with a really great old boy that used to be at Alfa GB

Steve

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2010 S350Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo166
hI

My car is just having that done as I type.
I have replaced everything, thats the belt and all the tensioners. Plus the multi belt which is the alternator etc belt. Are you doing it your self ??
If not and you are looking for a good mecahnic in the south london area I can put you in touch with a really great old boy that used to be at Alfa GB

Steve
Don't forget the water pump as well

A main dealer schedule will be all belts, all gaskets for chromed intake runners, gaskets for rocker cover/spark plug holes, a new tensioner, new plugs (if they were not replaced at 60k service) and a few other minor bits and bobs.

I second the recommendation for a new water pump as it will add no/very little labour to the job and will save you heaps of money in the future should it fail.

Main dealers charge circa 550-650 for the 72k service on a 24v car.
stevo166

Yeh

I did think about the water pump. They checked it over for me and said that it had not been on the car for very long so it turns out she has already had one. Thanks for the reminder though. This site is great !!!

One thing they did replace was that the top engine mount which was shot, the one that attaches to the rocker cover, which I thought was unusual at 55k. Anybody else had this go on them ???

Steve

AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Reiterate previous words - replace EVERYTHING!

I've just forked out 3K for new heads/valves/ belt tensioner/idler pulleys and other bits after the tensioner and/or centre pulley let go at 60K!

I am currently seeking goodwill payment off Alfa and chasing warranty company, who are refusing to pay for no good reason -some BS story about service intervals. I can see this going to small claims court and Which legal advice but I am determined Alfa will pay. They have sold a car which is not fit for use in respect of tensioner and pulley. They are not items checked at any service interval except the 72K belt change but certainly shouldn't go at 60K.

Does anybody else have experincing about this matter and goodwill payment off Alfa? Its not like they are going to get many claims off 166 owners are they!
My top engine mount rubber had gone when I bought the (strange it had passed an MOT...?!) - easy to replace except the part had changed shape and I had to modify the retaining bolt!
I'll keep you updated re. claim against Alfa

"One thing they did replace was that the top engine mount which was shot, the one that attaches to the rocker cover, which I thought was unusual at 55k. Anybody else had this go on them ???"

Fairly common item, referred to by many as the "dog-bone" engine mount. 55k is about right, don't forget it takes the whole of the top end of the engines forces when it trys to push itself back through into the car when you accelerate it also reduces general vibrations bigtime when adjusted properly.

As to goodwill from Alfa, it is a rare beast not often seen and too many, is the stuff of legends I am afraid. What exactly is the warranty company saying?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , change , parts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page