jts timing belt fitting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

r6nee

jts timing belt fitting

looool new here and dont know how to use it yet , I've just done the belt on my jts and worked a few thing's out but I posted it in NEWBI INTRO , if your doing your belt check it out it will help , beleive me I'm much better with engineering than extremley clever stupid PC's loool , Nee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Welcome to AO. I have read it. You need cam locks. Without them, you cannot be sure the timing is correct.
r6nee

elo Mitch , engine's purring mate if the camb's dont move why do you need lock's ? it's an urban myth that a lot of people who dont fix their own car's get told to get charged for part's they dont need as far as I'm concerned ,lmfao it did start with a f*kn massive cloud of smoke tho , the last thing I was expecting but buy the time the follower's had filled up it cleared , think I had the engine on it's side with oil still in at some point lol , jus keep sayin the alfa mantra "remember it's an alfa" apy motorin mate , Nee.

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
I do fix my own cars. I have done an engine rebuild on my Twinspark Gtv.

You need cam locks to guarantee the timing is spot on. There is no other way to do it.
r6nee

Fair enugh fella but seriously i've worked on all kind's of engine's fa 30 yrs + load's of them want u t use tool's as the camb's are under pressure from valve terain at tdc + wil move some but the jts has no resistance at all at tdc , i checked it on the dead lump that came out , same goe's for most tensioner tool's esentialy the tool make's up for another pair of hand's .

r6nee

And it's purring too I took a vid but cant get it on wil tho lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00199.jpg (64.3 KB, 19 views)

Lacken156

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6nee View Post
Fair enugh fella but seriously i've worked on all kind's of engine's fa 30 yrs + load's of them want u t use tool's as the camb's are under pressure from valve terain at tdc + wil move some but the jts has no resistance at all at tdc , i checked it on the dead lump that came out , same goe's for most tensioner tool's esentialy the tool make's up for another pair of hand's .

suri 'm8' ur talk thro ur 'ole......

r6nee

Engine in question is purrin supa quik throttle responce + pulz strong so i mus be chatin ,i left this for peepz who can work + learn not jus copy ah wel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00216.jpg (41.2 KB, 11 views)

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
elo Mitch , engine's purring mate if the camb's dont move why do you need lock's ? it's an urban myth that a lot of people who dont fix their own car's get told to get charged for part's they dont need as far as I'm concerned ,lmfao it did start with a f*kn massive cloud of smoke tho , the last thing I was expecting but buy the time the follower's had filled up it cleared , think I had the engine on it's side with oil still in at some point lol , jus keep sayin the alfa mantra "remember it's an alfa" apy motorin mate , Nee.
How do you know they were right to start with ????

It don't take much for the pistons and valves to touch .. might not do it straight way, but give it a few weeks and the belts start to stretch a minute amount ...
r6nee

Well Happy

I alway's retension after 1k or so for the stretch even though modern tensioners are made to cover the movement,i like my engines right or whats the point lol , it's nothin to take the covers of + reasuring to take a look , Nee .

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Yes, but the point is that the cam pulleys are not pegged to the camshafts. The Alfa procedure is to time the engine more accurately by locking everything and allowing the cam pulleys to rotate. That way, the timing is more accurate than to doing it to the nearest tooth on the belt. Without using the locking tools you are relying that the person doing the job before got the cams in the correct position. Your engine is not right as you have not followed the correct procedure.

Keith
r6nee

Thumbs Up

Read ful post , I checked everything on the dead engine including pulley to camb float ,which there was none on inlet unless forcibly moved , if the pulley moved easily in relation to the camb you would use a tool to lock the 2 together or mark accordingly and it's a 2 man job . I've been working on variable valve terrain engines since they came out .

r6nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammakeith View Post
Yes, but the point is that the cam pulleys are not pegged to the camshafts. The Alfa procedure is to time the engine more accurately by locking everything and allowing the cam pulleys to rotate. That way, the timing is more accurate than to doing it to the nearest tooth on the belt. Without using the locking tools you are relying that the person doing the job before got the cams in the correct position. Your engine is not right as you have not followed the correct procedure.

Keith
The exhaust camb is direct to pulley ' locked ' only the inlet moves and only at certain rpm through the variator which is an oil pressure operated servo .

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
The exhaust camb is direct to pulley ' locked ' only the inlet moves and only at certain rpm through the variator which is an oil pressure operated servo .
I've tried to keep out of this because this has all been covered on here MANY times.

Have you actually looked at the correct procedure?
I'm guessing you haven't.
The cam pulleys should be loose when the belt is tensioned (with the cams locked with the correct cam locks). Only after the belt is tensioned are the locks removed and the pulleys tightened.

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by david c View Post
i've tried to keep out of this because this has all been covered on here many times.

Have you actually looked at the correct procedure?
I'm guessing you haven't.
The cam pulleys should be loose when the belt is tensioned (with the cams locked with the correct cam locks). Only after the belt is tensioned are the locks removed and the pulleys tightened.

+1 b-)
r6nee

Yup i read it b4 i bought what i needed to do the job , someone's even telling me now i did'nt dti it , loool

AO Member

County: Meath
Guys,

The Alfa 159 have a chain instead of a belt but just wondering what year of car was it when that came out?
r6nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilton View Post
Guys,

The Alfa 159 have a chain instead of a belt but just wondering what year of car was it when that came out?
Dont know but google wil ;-)

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Yup i read it b4 i bought what i needed to do the job , someone's even telling me now i did'nt dti it , loool
You haven't dialed cams in have you
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Guys,

COMPLETELY different engine.
159 came out in 2005 though.
AO Member

I am currently looking for a diesel 159 1.9 and the guy in the alfa dealer told me that newer models have them, but online says the new berea models have them and the 2 litre petrol models of the 159?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
I am currently looking for a diesel 159 1.9 and the guy in the alfa dealer told me that newer models have them, but online says the new berea models have them and the 2 litre petrol models of the 159?
The 159/Brera 1.9/2.0/2.4 Diesels still have belts.
They DO NOT have chains.

There was never a 2.0 Petrol 159/Brera.
AO Member

So your man was filling me with crap?

Maybe a new 159 which is 2011 they might have the chain on the diesels?

Sure I will wait until another few months before a new one comes on the market.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
So your man was filling me with crap?
He was if he said the 159 Diesels have cam chains.

Quote:
Maybe a new 159 which is 2011 they might have the chain on the diesels?
No it won't.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , fitting , jts , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page