cleaning diesel injectors - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

cleaning diesel injectors

Anybody have real prroof that any of these off the shelf diesel injector cleaners actually work ?

my car 16v mjet smokes like a bad un, alwasy has, i was told that the injectors are leaking, or not closing properly, or leaking back or summat like that, so ive tried all manner of cleaners, with full tank, virtually empty tank of fuel... never seams to really improve things

ive also tried cleaning the map (cannot see how a pressure sensor would be affected by soot however) cleaned the egr and the MAF, reset the ecu and changed the stat, although its never ran above 70 - so it could be faulty again i guess

anyway, injection cleaners anyone ?

or what about a gallon of petrol in a full tank of fuel ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

The proprietary injectore cleaners are essentially 90% kerosene with a bit of toluene and a few other solvents. They dissolve any gum and varnish build-up you might get as the fuel evaporates from hot parts (think of like scale in your kettle).

If you want to DIY you can use kerosene in the tank instead. Use 250ml per tank and that'll give you 90% of the off-the-shelf stuff. You can buy it in Homebase etc. as "Turpentine Substitute" (next to... but not White Spirit) for about £4 for 2 litres (cf. £8 for 300ml of the branded stuff).

Some blockage may be soot however. Fella at work has all sorts of trouble with his Vorsprung Durch Technik A4.. 40,000 miles and already on its third set of injectors (£400 each, if you're wondering).

Apparently soot gets forced back into the injectors and being super-hot, sticks to the injectore and blocks it. Kerosene won't dissolve that in a hurry, if at all. You should look at ultrasonic cleaning to shake off the crud, same way as they break up kidney stones..

After that, you can use the kerosene to give the injectors a chance to stay clean.. but essentially soot (carbon) is pretty sticky and insoluble (acetone might do it .. can't remember) so it may need doing again from time to time.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

One of the best 'tools' we have in the workshop is an ultrasonic bath.

Ive cleaned m-jet injectors in toluene/kero in the ultrasonic bath, add a splash of ammonia as that helps dissolve carbon deposits.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

so i have to take them out, damm ive just paid 700 quid to have them all taken out to fix the poxy leaking seals

toluene... i remember that was bloody evil stuff

cheers

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cleaning , diesel , injectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page