More Power - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
More Power

Hi all,

As I come from a 6cyl back ground with my weekend car being a 300zx twin turbo, to going to a sexy 2.0l TS GTV feels rather gutless.

So the question is: What do you guys do to get a little bit more out of the 2.0l TS?

Thanks

Last edited by SSAAMMEERR; 11-03-12 at 08:46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Without spending a fortune on a turbo/supercharger conversion, or swapping the lump for a 3.2 V6, there isn't a lot that will get massive gains. Better airflow and exhaust, possibly cams ...

Making sure everything is working properly is a good start. If it doesn't rev freely to 7200, then the MAF might be on the way out. Fit a proper Bosch replacement ... replacements don't work well. You can just get the internals and swap ... makes it cheaper. Then making sure the timing is spot on, etc.

One thing: the TS cambelt needs to be changed every 36000 miles or 3 years now ... check when yours was last done.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 11-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Without spending a fortune on a turbo/supercharger conversion, or swapping the lump for a 3.2 V6, there isn't a lot that will get massive gains. Better airflow and exhaust, possibly cams ...

Making sure everything is working properly is a good start. If it doesn't rev freely to 7200, then the MAF might be on the way out. Fit a proper Bosch replacement ... replacements don't work well. You can just get the internals and swap ... makes it cheaper. Then making sure the timing is spot on, etc.

One thing: the TS cambelt needs to be changed every 36000 miles or 3 years now ... check when yours was last done.
Thanks Heaps for that! The cambelt is due based on a year of over due. It will get done soon.

How do I know that the timing is spot on?

And when you say rev freely to 7200 do you mean in gear or out of gear. Because it starts to some what pick up at around 3000 (assuming when vvt kicks in?) below 3000 sometimes feels like pulling teeth.
AO Gold Member

Timing can only be set using cam locks ... so if these are used correctly, your timing should be OK.

Rev in gear .. running on the road.

The 3000 rpm surge is normal ... if the maf was failing, you'd feel it lose power or hesitate up at the 5000-6000 ranges ...
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
Timing can only be set using cam locks ... so if these are used correctly, your timing should be OK.

Rev in gear .. running on the road.

The 3000 rpm surge is normal ... if the maf was failing, you'd feel it lose power or hesitate up at the 5000-6000 ranges ...
I have an ecu cable on the way. Will it tell me if my MAF is failing or has failed?
AO Gold Member

It generally only tells you if it's failed .. and that will be obvious.

The general way to check is simply unplug it and go for a run. The EML will come on and the idle will be very very lumpy, but it should be free revving up to the limiter.
AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

GT DIEsel

You could try a Squadra Tuning chip, had one on my old TS and it pepped it up a bit in the midrange. Won't pull up any trees though!

Prijslijst AR - Squadra Tuning
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAAMMEERR View Post
Hi all,

As I come from a 6cyl back ground with my weekend car being a 300zx twin turbo, to going to a sexy 2.0l TS GTV feels rather gutless.

So the question is: What do you guys do to get a little bit more out of the 2.0l TS?

Thanks
I used to have a TT-Z, probably the best car i've ever had, if i could afford the running costs
i'd have another anyday.
Can't help with your gtv though... lol.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page