Persistent error code "Cam timing sensor circuit". - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 15-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Persistent error code "Cam timing sensor circuit".

I have a persistent error code "Cam timing sensor circuit". The engine is a 3.2 V6. The timing has been checked and is correct. The cam timing sensor itself has been replaced with a known good part, with no success. The engine has a rough and uneven idle. So, what other possible causes are there for this error code?

Last edited by stooge166; 15-02-12 at 22:31.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Poor wiring in the loom maybe? Perhaps you have a bad feed on on of the pins
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 16-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Poor wiring in the loom maybe? Perhaps you have a bad feed on on of the pins
Good morning Joss,

Is the wiring concerned that running around the throttle / thermostat area, and over to the ECU, and maybe down to the crank position sensor? Anywhere else I should be looking?

I was thinking of gettin crazy with a can of electrical contact cleaner. But you think there might be some pins amiss. Where do you think is most likely?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Afternoon mate. . Yep first thing I'd look at is the connector that connects the cam timing sensor to the loom. Inspect the pins and give em a good old blast of you electrical cleaner for good measure. Next you Need to measure the resistance of the sensor itself to confirm it's working. Now I don't know what this should be but I''ve seen threads before asking questions and answers from some smarter people on here than me. Hopefully someone will pop into this thread an give you the answer. You sould do with getting a wiring diagram for eh ecu and loom. That way you can turn the ignition on and read the voltage coming through the pins to see if the loom is faulty. Sorry I can't be more help on that one

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
Chris155

Might be worth checking the crankshaft sensor too.

I assume you used a dti and 3.2 cam locks to check it?

Is this a follow on from the compression readings you were asking about? What was the outcome of that?

(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 17-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes Chris, the timing has been done with a micrometer, protractor and 3.2 cam locks. I opened the heads again and checked it thoroughly. I'm happy it's OK. The compression is very even between all cylinders so I'm inclined to think the lowish reading is just a result of a weakish battery not able to crank it fast enough to build some heat in the cylinders.

Regarding the cam sensor error code, I have checked and cleaned all the connections. All pins appear to be straight and in place. If I disconnect the Cam position sensor blue plug at the thermostat, nothing changes; the engine just keeps bumbling along with its rough idle. If I disconnect the crank sensor, the engine stops, as you would expect.

BUT, when I replaced the cam position sensor with a good one, there was no change.

The cam position sensor circuit at the plug over the thermostat gives 5.2 volts between the lilac wire and each of the brown wires. The cam sensor itself gives infinite resistance between all three pins.

So, what's next please?

Last edited by stooge166; 17-02-12 at 14:09.
Chris155

What are you using to pull the trouble codes?

I checked after you last pm'ed me but forgot to get back to you, my compression pressure is around 210psi for each cylinder. What's yours?

Ignoring the fault code, rough running at idle could be a misfire.

Have you tried pulling the connector off to each injector individually to check for a misfire?

And have you tried a decent battery on it?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cam timing sensor circuit , code , error , persistent

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page