Please Help Diagnose this Strange Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Please Help Diagnose this Strange Problem

Hi All,

bit of a weird one here: My 147 1.6TS has just started doing this funny thing; at about 4500 rpm, plus or minus 250, it's a bit random, it often has a big stutter. Like an instant lift on power, and then it comes back again a fraction of a second later. When this happens the Tacho drops REALLY fast (faster than the engine- but doesn't quite hit 0 before it's all fine again).

After the stutter it's fine for a second, then flashes MCSF, which then goes out again straight away, and all is fine again until next time.

Initially I was thinking battery connection but I now realise that it's only the Tach that dies with the engine, and the Speed, Water Fuel as well as headlights and radio all continue to work fine. So now I'm thinking ECU or Coil pack problem....

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris

Six/twelve devils screaming

Alfa History: '78 GTV 2.0, '83 GTV6 2.5, '98 156 Selespeed 2.0, '96 GTV 2.0, '96 GTV 2.0, '05 GT 3.2 V6, '96 146 2.0ti, '99 156 2.4JTD, '01 147 1.6 Lusso.
Current Others: TVR T350 Spider, AM V12 Vantage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 15-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

To add a bit more to this, strangely, you can push through and after a couple of splutters it will pull through to higher rpm. I've also thought about crank angle sensor.

But the bit that made me consider the ECU is that if you have FiatECU Scan plugged in and talking to the ECU while driving, at the moment of stutter, the laptop looses it's connection to the ECU, as if it's been unplugged. Have I answered my own question?
Grahameo

I think you have answered your own query.

Loose connection to battery, ecu or earthing point

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
diagnose , problem , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page