2.0TS clicking noises, lack of power, and more! variator? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Cry Like A Baby 2.0TS clicking noises, lack of power, and more! variator?

Hi everyone, I know you must be sick of these threads coming up all the time, so I applogise in advance.

My recently purchased 156 has started making an unpleasant clicking/tapping sort of noise, and hasnt got the power to pull the socks off a dead nun.

the noise certainly sounds like its coming from the top end, and all the stuff i have read so far suggests the variator is knackered.

the noise only happens above idle speed though; it sits at idle very nicely.

there is also a different clicking noise that seems to come in only at a certain throttle position (cruising pressure) rather than being related to engine speed.

the other thing is that in the day or so prior to the tapping noise starting, its been making a bit of a whining noise too, though its not very loud (i dont think it did this before, but i have only had the car 3 days so it could be that i just didnt notice it before). not sure if this is related?

thanks,

Tom

oh and even before the latest noises, the car was totally gutless both below 3k rpm and above 4.5k rpm and only mediocre in between. im guessing this is a MAF issue?

also also, the engine temp gauge appears to be non functional, and the cooling fans come on as soon as you start the engine, even when everything is stone cold. thermostat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
one more thing; the variator and related bits and pieces were replaced 12000 miles (2 1/2 years) ago. is it likely that its died again so soon?
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Lack of power could be the MAF, timing, but the temp sensor will be sending the ECU into "choke" mode and pumping too much fuel in, so will run poorly.

You probably want to get hold of FiatEcuScan, a VAG-COM KKL interface cable and a laptop to read the codes for free and work out what's wrong.

If your engine is tapping, when was the last time you changed the oil and what was used ... 10W40 semi-synth is the recommended spec but garages put in what they have bought cheapest.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20ts , clicking , lack , noises , power , variator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page