2 litre ts not heating up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 23-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Meath
2 litre ts not heating up

Have just bought a 99 gtv and am trying to get through some of the little niggly things,
The main one being that the car is very slow to heat up (and doesn't heat up when driving).
My past experience with ts engines is to replace the stat but the car when left idling will eventually get up to 90deg (as opposed to the stuck 70 deg) anyone any hints or tips for me, thanks.
Love the site have being glued to it the last few days and hope to be part of it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Definitely thermostat. When its idling and stood still there is no cool air passing through the radiator, or very little anyway. Once you start moving it will cool down again obviously.

Even though it gets up to temp it will be doing it slowly, replace the stat and it will heat up quicker
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I reckon your radiator is shot?

Is your coolant level staying constant or are you loosing any fluid/vapour?
Gaz
Regional Support North

If radiator was shot then it would overheat
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 23-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

only drove it once since I bought it but the coolant was within level and there is no spills that I can see but i'll have a closer look into that, thanks.
(Post Link) post #6 of 21 Old 23-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Definitely thermostat. When its idling and stood still there is no cool air passing through the radiator, or very little anyway. Once you start moving it will cool down again obviously.

Even though it gets up to temp it will be doing it slowly, replace the stat and it will heat up quicker
Cool will do this as well. Was going to anyway so I might as well now.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
If radiator was shot then it would overheat
I thought that too Gaz until i recently replaced mine and found that it didn't overheat because both radiator fans/resistors were working and i had a slow coolant loss. The car took ages to get upto temp. Since replacing radiator and coolant the car now gets upto temp in no time and sits solid at the 2nd mark unless im in traffic when it goes to 90o. Im not saying its not the thermo though, just throwing another possible cause as in my experience the slow temp rise has been down to radiators on their last legs.
Gaz
Regional Support North

Interesting! When my rad was shot the fans were never off!

Italians hey?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The thermostats fitted to Alfa's (and Fiats) are rubbish.

Virtually every one I have owned has needed a thermostat at some stage. Usually when first bought.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
My 2c .+1 for thermostat, why not drain, flush cr*p out and change coolant as well, then you will have a " new" known cooling system. Good luck
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 24-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiliasuper View Post
My 2c .+1 for thermostat, why not drain, flush cr*p out and change coolant as well, then you will have a " new" known cooling system. Good luck
Thats great lads, thanks, will tip away at this over the weekend.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuborg_man View Post
Have just bought a 99 gtv and am trying to get through some of the little niggly things,
The main one being that the car is very slow to heat up (and doesn't heat up when driving).
My past experience with ts engines is to replace the stat but the car when left idling will eventually get up to 90deg (as opposed to the stuck 70 deg) anyone any hints or tips for me, thanks.
Love the site have being glued to it the last few days and hope to be part of it for a while.
replace thermostat ..i bet your top hose off stat is warm after couple of minutes warming engine up when it should be actually stone cold till it hits 88c

ps ..after stat change ....usually shows symptons of poor rad circulation so beware
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
The thermostats fitted to Alfa's (and Fiats) are rubbish.

Virtually every one I have owned has needed a thermostat at some stage. Usually when first bought.

A thermostat does "wear out"... Using a weak coolant mixture and tap water as opposed to de-mineralised water doesn't help, especially if you're in a hard water area, since the sliding components corrode (brass-aluminium) and get calcium and other deposits on them.. which all impairs their operation.

Halfords sell thermostats for more or less every car on the market (except most Fiats and any Alfa) .. so I'm guessing it's not just Fiat/Alfa 'stats that wear out... just that they're not readily available off the shelf, so owners may be less likely to get round to changing them.

A good quality 'stat should last 5 years easy (my 17 year old 155 is on its third) so change it every time you swap the (pink) antifreeze and it'll be cool.

Or rather hot..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

They generally fail at the same time as the rad, but the over-cooling effect of a failed stat is masked by the lack of cooling from the failing rad, they balance each other out unless you get either a very hot or very cold day.
Many people want to do the minimum work, so only the rad gets replaced (often only when it has completely fallen apart, ie many months after it should have been done!), then with a fully functioning rad the car obviously runs cold for many months until the owner whinges about poor heating in the winter, at which point we all tell him he needs a new thermostat (and obviously should have done it many months previously...).

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
2012 Renault Twingo 1.2
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
They generally fail at the same time as the rad, but the over-cooling effect of a failed stat is masked by the lack of cooling from the failing rad, they balance each other out unless you get either a very hot or very cold day.
Many people want to do the minimum work, so only the rad gets replaced (often only when it has completely fallen apart, ie many months after it should have been done!), then with a fully functioning rad the car obviously runs cold for many months until the owner whinges about poor heating in the winter, at which point we all tell him he needs a new thermostat (and obviously should have done it many months previously...).
How very true.
AO Platinum Member

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Alfa156Sport

thermostat

Hi everyone!

Iv just had my thermostat changed (and egr valve/cambelt/waterpump) on my 2005 156 jtdm. Shes on 129000 miles and drives perfectly sweet! However where the temp used to sit on c55 degrees it is significantly raised but never to 90, usually about 80 ish. A couple of times recently i have noticed the temp reach 90 then suddenly and very obviously the dial shoots back to 75ish. Is this normal? Also to get any real significant heat in the cabin the temp needs to be over 30 or car feels cold. Any advice?

cheers Scott
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Sounds familiar. Of course the failing 'stat has no physical 'evidence' to the naked eye. What amazes me is how many cars I see with visibly shot rads, weeping pink gunge, and it's just left to fester.

I remember as a kid seeing my dad and his mates hoying radweld or similar into their rads to save a few quid. I seem to recall someone chucking an egg in there in an emergency?!?!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderscott View Post
Hi everyone!

Iv just had my thermostat changed (and egr valve/cambelt/waterpump) on my 2005 156 jtdm. Shes on 129000 miles and drives perfectly sweet! However where the temp used to sit on c55 degrees it is significantly raised but never to 90, usually about 80 ish. A couple of times recently i have noticed the temp reach 90 then suddenly and very obviously the dial shoots back to 75ish. Is this normal? Also to get any real significant heat in the cabin the temp needs to be over 30 or car feels cold. Any advice?

cheers Scott
That sounds okay. 55C is definitely a knacked 'stat.

Usually about 80-ish is where it should be (82-86C)

If the beast is sitting around in traffic or travelling slowly, it may heat up to 92C which is when the 'stat is fully open and the fan chips in. If they happen at the same time you get a blast of cool coolant hitting the temp' sensor all at once.

The gauge is probably also not 100% accurate..

Yes, if it's only 30C the old beast will be nippy inside the cabin. The heater gets hot coolant off the block and it has to pass through the matrix (a little radiator basically) so it takes a while to make its presence felt (coolant in the heater being stone cold to start with).

I don't know if anyone else with a diesel has different experiences (I never touch the derv.. ) but generally your symptoms aren't miles off what I'd expect..

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

In the cold weather right now my CF1 sits a shade above the unlabelled middle mark (I am told is 80*C)... I have had worries about my stat leaking but I have bigger priorities than to replace it right now (as always).

Heater works normally... economy on LPG is 25mpg (I think it's 30mpg on petrol but don't drive any miles with a full tank to check).

When/if I do replace the stat I will test it and let you know the result.

I think your advice is very sound Ralf
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Alfa156Sport

Thanks Ralf, your response is appreciated

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
heating , litre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page