Oh No! Cam belt Failure!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 16-01-05 Thread Starter

Help Oh No! Cam belt Failure!!

Hi all,

I'm new to Alfaowners.com .

I am actually asking for advice on behalf of a friend. He has a 156 2.0, he loves the car but unfortunatley the cam belt snapped destroying the top end of the engine!

The car wasn't even due a new belt, and in its 50k mile life so far it has only ever been dealer serviced. I've read elsewhere on the web that Alfa were aware that premature belt failure was a problem on the 156 and that up until the end of 2004 they were fixing failed engines FOC no questions asked! So far my friends been quoted 2000 for a rebuild... anyone got any thoughts on this - or stories of similar problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

MINI Cooper

Re: Oh No! Cam belt Failure!!

The current Alfa service requirement is for Cam Belt Inspection / Replacement at 36,000 miles or three years whichever comes first. If the car has been Alfa main dealer serviced and is up-to-date with servicing your friend may want to contact both the dealer and Alfa UK to see if they will contribute with any repairs.

The belt can fail well before the prevously recommended service point (it was probably 72,000 miles) and you will find plenty of other threads, if you use the search button, on his subject.

Hope the damage in not too expensive.
stella ts

Hmmm Re: Oh No! Cam belt Failure!!

check out the following on the subject.

Thank you for your enquiry on our website.

We at the Alfa Romeo Information Centre have not heard from our Head Office that the time of renewing the cambelt has changed form 72000 miles to 36000 miles. The Alfa 156 needs to have the cambelt examined every 240000 miles by an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether or not it needs to be changed.
Recall letters are sent out from the DVLA do not come directly from Alfa Romeo UK. If you wish to find out whether your vehicle needs a recall letter please call the DVLA directly.

Best regards

Alfa Romeo Information Centre.
from the horses mouth so to speak, i dont know about anyone else but it confuses the hell out of me,

AO Platinum Member

50000miles is spot on the average failure point.
As mentioned there was a service bulletin issued by Alfa in early 2002 effectively moving the change point to every 36000miles/3-years.
It is impossible to "check" a cambelt to see if it is safe for another year...
stella ts

too many people are in agreement that cambelts should be changed at 36k not 72k as both alfa(see above post) and the garage who look after my car both say, can anyone post the service bulletin in question as my warrenty states i have to stick to the manufacturers service schedule and it would be useful to take back to the main dealers and knock their arguement on the head.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

155 Q4

they should all know by now!! i was speaking to an alfa mech and he has about 5 a week!!!!!!!!!!!! who do u use for the servicing in the wirral ? duttons?
stella ts

yep duttons performed the 60k for me last week for 260 car has done 55k but givethem their due thier trying to organise a cam belt change due to a faulty variater will be paying them a visit tomorow to see how thier getting on. only paid to get the stamp for warrenty as icould have done the service myself in hindsight i should have got them to do a 72k service and changed the plugs my self but at 408 + vat + the variater cheaper to keep the warrenty , although if the cam belt were to snap outside the house

CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella ts
check out the following on the subject.

We at the Alfa Romeo Information Centre have not heard from our Head Office that the time of renewing the cambelt has changed form 72000 miles to 36000 miles. The Alfa 156 needs to have the cambelt examined every 240000 miles by an Alfa Romeo dealer to see whether or not it needs to be changed.
Recall letters are sent out from the DVLA do not come directly from Alfa Romeo UK. If you wish to find out whether your vehicle needs a recall letter please call the DVLA directly.

Best regards

Alfa Romeo Information Centre.
from the horses mouth so to speak, i dont know about anyone else but it confuses the hell out of me,

"....The Alfa 156 needs to have the cambelt examined every 240000 miles by an Alfa Romeo dealer ..."

Is this your typo or Alfa Romeo UK typo to say that the cambelt needs to be examined every .... 240,000 miles !!!
AO Member

Every 240,000 - that's ok then i have another 163,000 miles to go yet.
stella ts

Is this your typo or Alfa Romeo UK typo to say that the cambelt needs to be examined every .... 240,000 miles !!!
after extensive study i can confirm that i can't type apologies to those who have now reset their service times

CHF
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTD Moon Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella ts
after extensive study i can confirm that i can't type apologies to those who have now reset their service times
.... it's a shame the typo wasn't in Alfa UK's letter, it would have benefited to a lot of Alfisti ....
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

I've just been looking at my daughter's Pug 206 service book and the recommended cambelt change is at 144,000 MILES!!!

Now I know we're not in the same league power-wise, but I can't think a Pug cambelt is any different to an Alfa belt ... or BMW, GM, etc.

As I'm likely to be looking after this one myself, I'll consider changing it at 72K or selling the car way before then!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82
I've just been looking at my daughter's Pug 206 service book and the recommended cambelt change is at 144,000 MILES!!!

Now I know we're not in the same league power-wise, but I can't think a Pug cambelt is any different to an Alfa belt ... or BMW, GM, etc.

As I'm likely to be looking after this one myself, I'll consider changing it at 72K or selling the car way before then!!!!
are you sure thats not for its next cambelt change ie 72,000 for the
first,ect. with belts 3to 5 years is the norm no matter what the mileage,
as with age they weaken.
stella ts

sorry to bring this up again but just looking elsewhere and thought i'd double check wether it was my mistake and no i copied the email alfa sent to me exactly see below, all ive removed are the reg no and my name.
Dear G

Best regards

Alfa Romeo Information Centre

Original message follows:
>hi there i have a 1999 1.8ts 156(reg no. ), currently on 54,000 miles
>i have been told that alfa romeo has changed the replacement times for the
>cambelt from 72,000 to every 36,000 could you confirm this so i can enjoy peace
> of mind and stop worrying about the belt snapping ; also on another note i
>have heard of a recall for bonnet catches on uk cars could you tell me if that
> includes my car,
>thanks in advance
>
>
>G

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page