156 Cambelt change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 30-12-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156. V6... Mmmm

156 Cambelt change

Hi, im currently looking for a V6, when is it best for the cambelt to be done ? Some i have my eye on have been done as through a garage. But there are a few private sale ones that dont mention it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S.speed

Re: 156 Cambelt change

Somebody will soon answer you definitively I'm sure, but I know that the cambelt on the V6 is not such a big issue as with the twinspark. In other words, I think you just stick to the normal service schedule with the V6, not doing it 36000 miles early like on mine! It'll be summat like 60 or 72000 miles.

wrinx

It will be the standard 72k but I think that is probably a bit ambitious these days....50k/3 or 4yrs is what I'm working on until I hear otherwise.....but, its about a 4-5hour (book time) job on the V6's so it aint going to be cheap.

wrinx

AO Platinum Member

Yep.. 72k according to the book.

My belts looked pretty healthy when they came at 60k, last time. I think 72k is not unrealistic but 60k may be just that teeny bit safer.

Ralf S.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

Well my GTA handbook states belt change at 72k unless you drive in a sporty manner or live in a particularly dirty area in which case it needs doing at 36k. It is deliberately vaig, and I have no idea what constitutes sporty driving or dirty area

I think this is merely there to cover their backsides incase of failure
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR
Well my GTA handbook states belt change at 72k unless you drive in a sporty manner or live in a particularly dirty area in which case it needs doing at 36k.
I think that translates as:
"It really needs changing at 36000miles but lease companies will remove Alfa from their books if there is a change in the first 3-years..."
S.speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR
Well my GTA handbook states belt change at 72k unless you drive in a sporty manner
Errr....who on earth is gonna buy a GTA and drive like a granny? What a cop-out!!

AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

I`ve had one done at 72 and one at 144 and the one at 144 had lumps missing

50K sounds safer or at the outside try 60K. Seeing as the 60K service involves dismantling some engine bits anyway you might find it a touch cheaper to try for an hourly rate for changing it rather than the menu price - it depends if your nerves can take waiting until you get to 60K miles!
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

It is a pity that your Alfa labour charge is so high.

I've just had the following replaced front dampers, front wishbones, rear dampers, rear transverse arms, variator, timing belt, tensioners, rear brake pads and rear discs skimmed - labour charge for all that - about 250 pounds.

All done by the local Alfa dealer
AO Platinum Member

At this rate it'll be cheaper to ship our cars to Qatar (near Aberdeen, innit?) and have them serviced there!

Anyone taken their "new" motor to Belgium or somewhere to have them serviced? I heard that can be cheaper than the UK.

Ralf S.

Idea Re: 156 Cambelt change

Always do V6 belts at 36K. I have even heard of a couple of isolated cases of the belts going twang earlier than that!
As book time is 5 or 6 hours, it will still be cheaper than a 16V engine as the tensioner is more reliable, and I don't believe that any of the guide pulleys need changing. Also, there is no 70 odd variator. Just think, the 2 litre is even worse with that damned balance belt- 50 itself!
When will Alfa go back to chains? They are no good with belts etc.
johnfguy

Thumbs Up Re: 156 Cambelt change

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIRLRACER
Hi, im currently looking for a V6, when is it best for the cambelt to be done ? Some i have my eye on have been done as through a garage. But there are a few private sale ones that dont mention it.
I have just checked this out with the Alfa dealer in Doncaster. Change at 72000 but "checked at 36000 and each service between that and 72000.

They have quoted me just short of 80 for the check and 440 for the change!

AO Platinum Member

The problem is that a visual check of the belt can't tell you if it will last another 12000miles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , cambelt , change

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page