Belt idler - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-12-04 Thread Starter

Belt idler

Hope you all had a good Christmas and not too many frozen handbrakes
Today's problem is: How do you remove the Auxilliary drive belt idler pulley on a 146ti with aircon. I've got the tensioner off ok, but the idler pulley is in line with the inner wing/chassis leg. It was getting a bit dark when I got that far, but it looks like I'm going to need something like a shorter version of a 33 16v spark plug spanner to squeeze in the gap. Is there a trick to removing this idler or a special tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 30-12-04 Thread Starter

Re: Belt idler

Well, took the easy way out on that one. It didn't seem wobbly or rough when I spun it around, so I left the original one on and just changed the tensioner and belt. Only problem now is it won't start; I think 'cos I started it (too) briefly without the aux. belt to see if the whirring noise had gone and then quickly turned it off so now the management system is confused about whether the engine is cold or not and not doing the proper cold start routine. The battery is now starting to lose its power so I'll have to wait 'til my wife gets home and try a jump start to spin the engine fast enough to cough into life
BTW the whirring noise was still there without the aux belt on, must be the balancer or cambelt tensioner Isn't it fun
wrinx

Oops, missed this one.....I've just done the Spider belts and variator and had the same problem.....only about 20mm space!

I ended up grinding down a socket and then welding it to a metal bar Wouldn't have minded but it was a socket from my favourite set

Not sure why starting the car without Aux belt would have done what you're experiencing

wrinx

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 30-12-04 Thread Starter

I don't think it's related to the aux belt being off, but to the fact that it was only running for a short time (while I listened to the noise it still made) - like if you just move the car in or out of the garage - I think it's something to do with the cold start cycle not being completed and the ECU doesn't know where it has got to in the cycle so buggers itself up. It has happened a couple of times in the past and usually been cured by 30 seconds ( at least ) on the starter. Only trouble is now the battery has done 99.870 miles and over 5 years. I'll try a jumpstart from the diesel Multipla tomorrow
I recall reading of a similar problem a few years ago rellated to Fords when people just drove them out of the garage to wash them and then they wouldn't start. (Of course, it's not so serious a problem with a Ford as an Alfa ).
Thanks for comfirming my suspicions about the socket/tool, wrinx - at least I wasn't missing something obvious
wrinx

Mmm, think you might be right about the short start. It has been mentioned on here before...usually ok when left until the next day or a few hours later.....fingers crossed for ya

wrinx

(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 31-12-04 Thread Starter

Yes, all ok now
Though perhaps I ought to add 'new battery' to my shopping list - should have asked Father Christmas for one, but a bit late for that now
wrinx

Glad it's sorted....

wrinx

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , idler

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page