oh dear........another oil thread. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

gt jtd

oh dear........another oil thread.

just a quick one.....

how come the 04 gt oil recommendation is 10w40 semi and the 05+ is 5w40 fully synth?

i know the engine changed slightly, better injection cycle=better emmisions and mpg etc

with out starting a usual debate about oils 'you must run fully synth or your engine will blow up' type thread

my car seems to have been serviced on magnatec for the last few years, doesnt say grade but im assuming 10w 40 semi. are there anydownsides to running it? will be dropped every 10k anyway.

its also 17.50 for 4 litres at halfrauds!

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

To confuse the issue more the same engine in vauxhalls uses 5w30.

The oil change intervals on my jtdm 159 is every 18k which I think is way too long, I think its far better to use a slightly cheaper oil and change it twice as often
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 10-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

gt jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
To confuse the issue more the same engine in vauxhalls uses 5w30.

The oil change intervals on my jtdm 159 is every 18k which I think is way too long, I think its far better to use a slightly cheaper oil and change it twice as often

yep far too long, always been a bit weary of 'long life' intervals.

ill just stick with the magnatec, and change every 10k, cant be arsed doing every 5k on every other car ive owned. seems a bit overkill
AO Platinum Member

There was probably a change to the emissions around then (EURO3 to EURO4?) so AR probably stuck the thinner oil in there to lower the cold-start viscosity... The reduction in drag might have been enough to sneak through the exam. The change to synthetic was probably just because 5W40 semi-synthetics are pretty rare.

Long change intervals are "okay". Tarquini, my old 155 had 12k intervals using 10W40 semi-synthetic and that's all.

When the head gasket failed at 198k I had the heads off. Wear was really minimal.. but there was a lot of gum and varnish in there and the oilways were partially obstructed.. though I should stress the gum film was maybe 0.5mm thick in an oilway typically of 5-7mm so less than 10% obstruction.

Given the mileage, I'd say it's probably impossible to gum up an engine enough to wreck it, if you carry out 12k changes.

These days I change the oil more often and run semi-synthetic "for diesels" since they have a higher detergent content. Synthetics also have the same high-detergent content (look for ACEA4 if you want the most.. though ACEA3 is more typical) and obviously don't break down like semi-synthetics, so they probably do last 18k and leave the engine clean and tidy.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

Magnatec may not mean 10W40.
There is obviously a 5W30 Magnatec and also a trade only 5W40 which many garages use.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dearanother , oil , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page