How long does it take to remove V6 plenum chamber - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 31-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

How long does it take to remove V6 plenum chamber

Folks,

I need to get into the spark plugs on the rear bank, which means I need to remove the plenum chamber cover. As far as I can see, I need to do the following

Unmount the ecu
Undo the 12 clips on the intake pipes and slide the rubber boots forward
Unscrew three hoses on the plenum inlet (or can these be unclipped)
Possibly undo a relay box or junction box beside the ECU

After that can the plenum be loosened and just moved out the way. I need to remove the three coil packs, one is giving a misfire. Hoping it's just water, and needs drying.

Problem is I might need to do this tonight using lighting - does it seem feasible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 31-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Anyone done this before? Just wondering if it's half an hour type job to remove it and same to replace?
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

156 2.5 v6

Hi there done this job a few times it's a fiddly job took me about an hour and half the first time then once you have done its a lot easier might be more difficult in the dark. Hope this gives you some indication on how long it takes.

Dan.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 31-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Thanks Dan. Seeing as it is ****ing down as usual I'll not be going for it tonight. 1000W tripod site light running off an extension in the rain is probably not a good idea. Probably Friday now before I get to do it.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

If you haven't done this already:

No need to unclip all 12 clips on the intake runners, the 6 ones closer to the plenum are enough. Really fiddly to get these back without the correct pliers.

You do need to disconnect the connectors in the black box, as this is screwed to the plenum.

Hoses clip off.

Plenum is screwed to rear camcover with a hex bolt in each end.***edit: lost in translation: allen bolt in each end****

After undoing all bolts, wires, and stuff, just slide the plenum back and up. There are a couple of bushes between the camcover and plenum, be careful not to drop these behind the engine while removing plenum.

1-1.5 hours for first time removal sounds like a fair estimate, it's not difficult, just fiddly as Dan already mentioned.

Reserve slightly more time for putting it back together, especially if you don't have suitable pliers for the clicr clips.

Hope drying the coils is enough, good luck!

Last edited by Mathias; 04-11-11 at 12:48.
Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclean View Post
Thanks Dan. Seeing as it is ****ing down as usual I'll not be going for it tonight. 1000W tripod site light running off an extension in the rain is probably not a good idea. Probably Friday now before I get to do it.
I've done that before, more than once;

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...cture003-1.jpg

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

no way... 30mins tops... all gtas are cf3... believe it or not this makes a massive difference!

1) you do not need to remove the ecu.... simply unplug everything at the rear connector box behind the plenum.

2) unclip the trumpet clips only 6 clips to undo.

3) remove the intake flexi pipe from the TB.

4) unclip any hoses connecting to the plen.

5) that's pretty much it.. remove all allen bolts connecting it to the heads (there are two at the rear) - remove also the earth strap next to the ecu box...

you then rock the plenum rear-wards to ween them off the rubber connectors to the trumpt - that's all that is holding them at that stage... rock from side to side and it will come off - slightly raising the rear as you do it..

working semi methodically and quickly - halfa tops to remove.... with experience and in a rush - much less..

probably avoid doing it in the rain tho..
AO Member

Member car:

n/a

you can see some pics here:
yank out intake pipe:

you only need remove the top 6 trumpet clips and leave the rest in situ here:

remove plenum with ecu in situ - the connectors on the TB are either quick release type, clip or worm screw - no biggie...

a proper pincer type set of pliers or proper clip R pliers makes a big difference...

Last edited by wankski; 04-11-11 at 13:55.
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Thanks mate (don't think your name will get past the swear filter). Might have to get a Facebook account ( :-( ) to see the pics. Nice cover Stratosphere.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
AO Member

Member car:

n/a

lol, no worries mate...pics now hosted on photo bucket... hopefully u can view it now...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
chamber , long , plenum , remove

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page