Oil Temperature Sensor Replacement 2.2 jts .... What's the real story? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Alessandria
Oil Temperature Sensor Replacement 2.2 jts .... What's the real story?

I recently purchased a 2007 Spider 2.2 JTS and, like some others here, the oil temperature indicator is stuck at zero. It never moves but the good news is that there are no other warning lights associated with this problem. I suspect I need to remove and replace the oil temperature sensor.

Searching the internet reveals various stories ............. some of them pretty ugly. The workshop manual I downloaded for the 2.2 version of the Alfa 159 indicates that the temperature sensor is bolted inside the sump; therefore, it's necessary to remove the sump to change the sensor. Of course, being an Alfa, getting the sump off requires a bit of additional R&R, but it's well within my capabilities. On the other hand, I'm old enough to know that assuming the 159 and Spider are identical can be risky.

What bothers me is reading some Italian reports (I'm an American living in Italy) which say the part alone costs around 230 Euros or so plus about 10 hours labor.

In contrast, someone posted here that he changed the oil temperature sensor with nothing more than a deep socket and the part cost only 12 British Pounds. Of course, that sounds much like what you would expect on a Chevy V-8; simple, cheap, and easy. Can this story be true?

One thread hinted that carefully cleaning the electrical connector might do the trick. That has a lot of appeal, assuming it works.

Some horrified Alfa V-6 owners report that step one in replacing the sensor is to remove the engine. Ouch!

So, what I would like to know, before I dive into this problem, is what to expect? I suppose I'd rather look at a indicator reading zero rather than remove the engine. Removing the sump is something I'd be willing to do (I like to drive a car with all components working) but if I have to pay over 200 euros for a simple sensor, I might just decide to ignore the problem. Of course, if it's a simple matter of reaching in the toolbox for the correct socket and if the part costs about as much as a couple of beers, I'm ready to attack that job next time I change the oil.

Can anyone shed some light on what it really takes to change the oil temperature sensor in my 2007 2.2 JTS Spider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
well, the 2.2 JTS is in it's base a GM engine....

I'd try to locate the sensor in real life on the sump, and decide then.... maybe some vauxhall/opel/chevrolet come with the same sensor?
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 22-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

As it turns out, the sensor on the 2.2 JTS, on the Spider at least, can be seen by looking at the forward side of the sump just aft of the radiator fan. If your arms are long, like mine, you can take off the connector and clean the contacts. Unfortunately, that didn't help. On the other hand, it apparently did no harm.

By using a mirror, I was able to see that the sensor is not a simple screw-in type. A little further research shows that folks who say the sensor can be changed only after removing the sump are correct.

I'm guessing here, but the fact that the connector has four contacts leads me to believe that the temperature sensor is combined with the oil level sensor. Perhaps that explains why some people report that it is disappointingly expensive.

So, I've decided to not do anything for a while. The last vehicle I drove with both an oil level sensor and an oil temperature indicator was a Boeing 767, and even then you had to dive into a menu to see the readings. My old Porsche had an oil temp sensor as does my new Ducati motorcycle, but they are both air-cooled. So, I'm guessing I can live with an indicator pointing straight down. I just hate looking at a broken gauge.

As far as finding a similar car with less expensive parts, I wonder if any of those cars have the same temperature and oil level sensor. I would imagine not.
AO Platinum Member

Once you have the beast out you'll probably find it is a Bosch (etc.) part and if so, it will have their part number on it.

Then you may be able to buy the same part from Bosch... or an aftermarket doodah made by someone else.

It's just the Alfa packaging that's expensive. If you can find a pattern or Bosch jobbie it will be half to 2/3 the cost probably.

I don't think AR are particularly dear though.. a fella at work has an Audi A4 and had to sell one of his children when a fuel injector failed (the ECU usefully shuts down the other 3 cylinders when it detects a problem... even if you happen to be doing 130km/h in the fast lane of the Autostrada at the time)

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

gtv/147

just remove the sump and the sensor is bolted down with two 10mm bolts the wire is clipped in remov the c clip holding the connector in an hour job at most.Its the sensor that is faulty very common.Just be glad its not a v6 you more of less have to remove the engine.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 25-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

srsgrandmaster

As you say, the job requires removing the sump which (from reading the Elearn manual for the 159) doesn't look to be very involved. Not much more than removing one wheel, some dust covers, the accessory drive belt, and power steering pump belt. That would be a good time for me to change them anyhow.

At the moment, I'm negotiating with the guy who sold the car to me in an attempt to have him take care of fixing it. If I'm not successful, perhaps I'll take on the job of replacing the sensor when the snow comes in January since I'm too old for skiing and my Ducati doesn't have snow chains.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jts , oil , real , replacement , sensor , story , temperature

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page