Simple clutch questione.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Simple clutch questione..

Titch, the Younger Mrs S's Cinquecento decided to pack up his clutch yesterday.. just a few weeks before I was (probably ) going to change it anyway... since it's been making a whirring noise and operation has been a bit vague for a while now.

So, I have a new clutch kit and the Cinq' is a good place to try changing a clutch myself for the first time (better than learning on the v6, anyway! )

What's involved really? I imagine I'll have to take the wheel off and disconnect the clutch cable....

The tricky bit is what comes next?

I know that the gearbox has got to be separated from the crankcase.. but what's involved in all that? Do I have to just unbolt it and pull it away to get at the clutch or will it start getting complicated (having to remove driveshafts and gear linkages etc.?

I'll probably be able to work out what needs to come undone as I do the job.. but my fear is getting so far and then getting stuck because I don't have a special tool, or a gasket or something.

Any quick summary or gotchas would be helpful.. ta.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

You should be ok... Will probably take you all day. Both drive shafts come out so might be easier to remove both road wheels. Drain the box fluid first and work methodically until all the bolts are out. Give the box a good shake to separate it from the engine then withdraw it and ease it to the ground. Change clutch and "reassembly is the reverse of removal..."
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 07-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The driveshafts are a bit of an unknown for me.. I've always left the heavy stuff to matey machanic.. but he got tendonitis after he swapped by v6 gearbox and now only wants to do MoTs for a living..

Drive shafts just pull out as far as I know.. is that right?

Do I need to unbolt the other end (ball joint?) from the hub? My dad left me a ball-joint fork thing in his will.. I might have to find it.. but better still if I don't need to use it.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0

I don't know the design of this car... you should get away with leaving one hub fully assembled. Try a haynes manual for the detail?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 146 Ti

To paraphrase the Hippocritical Oaf, first do no harm
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Actually the beast wasn't too bad.

The drive shafts stayed connected to their hubs through-out.. I just have to separate the wishbone ball-joint from each hub (that ball-joint fork thing and a big hammer).. so that the hubs could come away from the car along with the drive shaft enough, until the drive shafts dropped out of the diff' CV tripoid doo-dahs.

The 'box off was good.. and the old clutch was indeed FUBAR'd. The prong springs had a groove worn half-way through them and the thrust bearing had spun in it's housing so it wasn't thrusting any more (happens to all of us with age, I suppose... )

The old clutch was a Borg & Beck.. the thrust bearing was Valeo.. so looks like someone changed the beast before (B&B was date stamped Oct 2000) but re-used (?) the original Valeo bearing.

Also interesting.. one of the clutch plate springs looked like it had been rubbing on the flywheel.. and eventually wore through one of it's coils. What I though was a "washer" (you can see it resting on the clutch, below) is actually the last coil of a spring..

The only thing I woulda done different is that I took the garbox off the transfer case.. which was then almost impossible to replace (that fork selector ball joint..!! ) New clutch is lighter than air.. can hardly feel it even though it's a cable job.... and it makes the 145 hydraulic seem veeeery heavy indeed!

Ralf S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clutch.JPG (48.4 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Ralf S.; 07-11-11 at 08:22.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
clutch , questione , simple

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page