Twinspark engine crank case - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 22-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Twinspark engine crank case

2 questions, at least one is sensible...

The (CF1,2,3) TS engine crank case is cast iron. Heavy and heats up slowly, causing poor mileage on short trips. It was made this way to make it cheap to manufacture, as I understand it. Has anyone ever had one cast out of ally?? Could a company make a profit by copying the design and having a batch made to sell to enthusiasts?

Secondly, the 2.0 crank case has a blob of iron sticking out on the belts end where the balance belt idler sits. Has anyone taken an angle grinder to this and removed it before??

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
there's a fair bit more involved than copying the block if you want to go to alloy...
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4288 View Post
2 questions, at least one is sensible...

The (CF1,2,3) TS engine crank case is cast iron. Heavy and heats up slowly, causing poor mileage on short trips. It was made this way to make it cheap to manufacture, as I understand it. Has anyone ever had one cast out of ally?? Could a company make a profit by copying the design and having a batch made to sell to enthusiasts?

Secondly, the 2.0 crank case has a blob of iron sticking out on the belts end where the balance belt idler sits. Has anyone taken an angle grinder to this and removed it before??

Cheers!

Engine block is extremely complex cast and manufacturing design, even car manufacturer often stick to the same design for decades and re-design only the intake/timing/exhaust/fueling system.

And you can not just make an alu copy of cast iron part 1:1. Aluminum is not as strong as cast iron, so it needs to be much thicker in critical places means completely redesigning the engine,all its walls and passages. Moreover you can not put pistons directly into alu block as they would wear the walls on the first day. You either need to use high tech nicasil or alusil technology on the walls or insert cast iron liners, wet or dry, in both case it means redesigning the complete cooling system and water passages. Basically you would need to change the complete engine concept and you would not be able to use most of the other parts from the original engine...

If you go out and buy a new Ferrari, you will still save a fortune compared to custom engine design...

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather,3.75l conversion,ported heads,F575 TB,Carbon plenum,Stainless manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
whatever you chose, the pistons would need to be spaced further apart aswell, they're VERY close together in the TS which is why 5IMO° fiat preferred this design over the old nord block. the cast engine fits in smaller cars aswell
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 22-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0

Very good solid answers, thanks very much for those!!

Any thoughts on my more specific question of cutting off that lump of iron? (i.e are there any oil passageways inside?) i'll put a photo of it up later
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4288 View Post
Very good solid answers, thanks very much for those!!

Any thoughts on my more specific question of cutting off that lump of iron? (i.e are there any oil passageways inside?) i'll put a photo of it up later
you are determined to make this thing lighter aren't you ..

Cast iron is actually a very good material for engine blocks.. there are all the other reasons that the other guys mentioned.. plus the fact that aluminium is roughly about one third the strength of iron.. dependant on which way you measure it.. therefore to achieve the same result you would need roughly three times more ally to do the same job as iron.. and there's the weight advantage gone down the pan...
so as someone else said ..it would require a complete re-design of the block.. to all intents and purposes.. a different engine..

copying cast iron parts into ally has been done.. bell housings .. diff casings etc.. but even this would require significant webbing and strengthening.. and again the weight advantage starts to tail off..

If I were a student and I were looking at making weight saving modifications through the use of materials.. I think I'd be looking to re-design the cast iron suspension arms.. that's do-able.. when you are doing your suspension bushes.. measure up.. and get onto that autocad.. I may even buy a set of steel tubular control arms ..

Last edited by seadart; 22-08-11 at 20:04.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
case , crank , engine , twinspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page