3L V6 rough cold running - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 11-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

3L V6 rough cold running

Just lately I have been starting my GTV from cold and finding it's running too few revs and barely holding on. I can rev it up and it'll be fine, but today I gave it a light rev and it bogged down very much like if it was a carby car running without choke. Then when I get it out of the garage say 10 seconds later, it'll be revving at 2k, and won't calm down unless I give it a bit of a rev (I tried a few times popping the clutch but it'd just charge back up to 2k). It will then settle down to it's usual idle speed, and run perfectly. This has only just started to happen over the last week. Any ideas what it could be?

It's a 3L V6 in a PH1 GTV...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Did you search for idle control valve problems? It could also be a MAF though I've never had one fail (touch wood) so I dunno what they feel like. I initially thought lambda.. but that's more like a hunting idle.. but look for the other two first..

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 15-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well I drove a 2L Alfa for a while with a busted MAF on order from Italy, and it always started and idled fine.

I might buy the Alfa Diag system and see if I can spot the problem. I drove it the other day, crappy idle for about 5 seconds but no 2k revs.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL32 View Post
Just lately I have been starting my GTV from cold and finding it's running too few revs and barely holding on. I can rev it up and it'll be fine, but today I gave it a light rev and it bogged down very much like if it was a carby car running without choke. Then when I get it out of the garage say 10 seconds later, it'll be revving at 2k, and won't calm down unless I give it a bit of a rev (I tried a few times popping the clutch but it'd just charge back up to 2k). It will then settle down to it's usual idle speed, and run perfectly. This has only just started to happen over the last week. Any ideas what it could be?

It's a 3L V6 in a PH1 GTV...
water temp sensor , ,maf very good possibility got in on diagnostics ,sure be local owner to plug in and see what its doing
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 19-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Wouldn't the water temp sensor affect what the water temp gauge displays? Or is that not how it works...

Either way, I've avoided the 2k revving by just letting the car right itself rather than touch the throttle.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL32 View Post
Wouldn't the water temp sensor affect what the water temp gauge displays? Or is that not how it works...

Either way, I've avoided the 2k revving by just letting the car right itself rather than touch the throttle.
if water temp sensor reads -5 when ambient temp is +16 when cold and when it warms up starts reading normal again,you wouldnt notice ,get codes read is only way
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
When were the spark plugs last done?

The back 3 are a PITA to get at, and are often left longer than they should be.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

They were done 18 months ago/12k ago. All of them.. and a coilpack for cylinder 3. Either way this problem has gone away by itself if the last few drives are anything to go by... typical Alfa lol.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cold , rough , running

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page