Fiat ECU Scan and found mileage scam? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 21-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Doblo

Moaning Fiat ECU Scan and found mileage scam?

hi,
just thought i'd ask if anyone has used Fiat ECU Scan (or the Alfa equivalent) and found that the ECU stored mileage is different to the odometer on the dash?

we bought our Doblo (1.9 JTD ELX) from a garage dealership in 2006 with 54,000 miles on the dashboard odometer.
it now has 109,986 miles indicated.

due to a problem with a misfire after rebuilding the engine,
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...r-rebuild.html
Technical: 2002 Doblo 1.9 JTD 8v misfire after rebuild - The FIAT Forum
i bought a cheap OBD cable off ebay and used the excellent Fiat ECU Scan to check for errors.
whilst in there poking around i found the mileage stored in the ECU,
201,561 km = 124,967 miles.
odometer reads 109,986 miles.
a difference of 14,981 miles.

hmm....

so, could our doblo have been 'clocked', altered?

during the rebuild, i also found that non-matching valves were used in the cylinders.

which seems to suggest previous extensive damage, followed by engine rebuild work (timing belt?).
yet when we bought it, the garage said it was FSH and no work carried out "as far as we know...".
previous owner (from new) said 'never had a problem'...

obviously 'someone' had done 'something' but no-one is owning up.

anyway, maybe i should get back to the stripdown instead of putting it off by posting updates!

thanks for reading (if you got this far!)

austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
I don't know the reason, but I can confirm that on neither of my two 147s the ODO reading and Fiat Ecu Scan reading match. In both my cases FES reads about 5 or more percent lower mileage than ODO.
And I own one of the 147s from brand new and I know nothing was modified.
(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 22-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Doblo

Idea Re: Fiat ECU Scan and found mileage scam?

hi Gotcha,
thanks for replying.

in another post (on the fiat forum) i received a reply that explained a possible reason for this discrepancy -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Fiat ECU Scan and found mileage scam? Well there have been differing reports from FiatECUScan users on the accuracy of reported mileage. The body computer and instrument cluster hold/display mileage. However there is a conversion factor that appears to vary by car that can lead to discrepancies.

In your case you are talking about a 14% difference. Now you car could have been clocked by 14% but IMHO it is far more likely that the 'conversion factors' (NOTE! not km to miles but internal measured units to equivalent distance km/miles) are at play here.

I get differences on my Croma (not checked for a long time so cannot quantify) and others appear to have similar differences.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i'm looking into if it is possible to change this 'conversion factor', maybe with a diagnostic lead and a clever bit of software?

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

My car had the speedo replaced at 14k miles, so there is a discrepancy there, though it's marked in the handbook and the history. Could easily have been glossed over if had been wanted.

I do believe that up to a certain mileage (something like 100) the mileage can be reset to compensate from a new car being driven on and off the boat and test driven at the dealership, but obviously, that's a long way off what you're talking about.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
300 km, nearly 200 miles... but the mileage can also only be reset 3 times maximum
AO Member

County: -Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

On my GTV, using Fiat ECU scan, the ECU odometer read 130000 km and the speedo mileage was around 86k approximately 138000 km. A difference of 8000 km. There is no history of the speedo having been replaced. Could be a conversion factor error.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Same with my 147. It shows up 127000 but FES is readind 120000.
rhett71

my speedo and ecu match perfectly using version 1.6 after that the other versions report funny rpm's etc. I think the later version of FES are not as stable for whatever reason?

AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Same here with my 156 GTA. ECU scan reads around 5000km lower readings than on odo display. At least its not bigger :P
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Says about 5000km in FiatECUscan and there is nearly 70k miles on the odometer in my GT.
Mario Andretti

Even with the examiner you get differences and some of it is dawn to miles being callede kms and the other way round as it makes it great fun when replacing clocks

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

147 JTD16M

Should be easy to check by driving a few miles and seeing whether the odometer and scan differ by 14%.
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
i had a difference on my GTA, simple reason being that there was a recall on them and they all had their speedos replaced, so mine was about 15k out.

it was all there in the service book to explain it all though.
AO Member

County: -
On older Fiat-Alfa-Lancia vehicles (without CAN), mileage in ECU and in instrument panel is calculated separately (each has it's own math), so there could be difference about 5%.

If mileage in ECU is much lower than in instrument panel, that is probably because it was reset (ECU update or something like that).

If mileage in ECU stands at zero, or if it is greater than in instrument panel, then it could indicate mileage scam.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
ecu , fiat , found , mileage , scam , scan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page