My bottom end pics - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

My bottom end pics

Evening all

I have found the culprit of my engine knock!! See pics. Its the cylinder on the near side, so is that 1 or 4?

Anyway, got the new shells etc all ready to go, but I am struggling to get the two top halves of the outer cylinder shells out due to the pistons being up in the cylinders. I am assuming I need to hand crank my engine, but am not 100% sure how best to do it.

Is it along the lines:

Remove spark plugs (all or one per cylinder?)
Remove crank pulley to access crank bolt
turn crank slowly to get access

Now, this is assuming my crank is actually ok. There is some slight scoring as can be seen, but I do not know what constitutes 'bad' scoring, so would someone be able to offer some advice? I may just swap the shells and try it anyway.

Thoughts???

Cheers
Stan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
If you want to turn the crank - you only need to move it slightly to get enough clearance to remove the top shells - there should be no need to remove plugs, as you won't be moving the pistons.......but even with the rods as they are you should be able to push the shell bearings out - just make sure you push with (say) a thin-bladed screw-driver on the side opposite the locating tag.

Having said that, 1 and 4 shells look particularly worn (1 being the belt end of the engine, 4 being the flywheel end), and the pic of the crank itself looks as though the crank itself is scored well beyond normal wear and tear limits If you can feel any uneven-ness when you run your finger over the bearing surface, its likely to need a crank grind - which means an engine out job....and the Ts cranks aren't the most amenable to grinding - there isn't a lot of meat to play with.

Sorry if this isn't good news

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 09-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Richard, I suspected it may not be good news but hoped I was wrong. So, are there any good guides for engine removal? My neighbour has a crank so I will have a go at swapping it rather than getting another engine. I havent sen it yet, as its in a 156 he bought to break, so if its no good I'll see about getting mine reground. There is an engine place in Fleetwood called Redmans and they seem to know what they're doing.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
your going to need a crank grind, and i know the cranks can take upto a 0.75mm oversize shell/grind.
engine out is the common sense way to do it but i have heard its been done still in the car this might be myth (by he who shall not be named ;o) SMAKY)....
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Easy enough if the gearbox is removed.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Richard (rgwm) above said it 'could' be done with the engine in but probably easier to take it out. However, that means getting a hoist, removing ancillaries etc etc. Would it be much more difficult to just take the 'box out and do it in situ?
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
taking the g box off is a lot easier than the whole engine.. only issue is replacing the crank etc on your back instead of on the bench so to speak..
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 10-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Really, is it? I want to do whatever is easiest and can live with changing it on my back but if I end up doing the belts too then is it easier to just take it all out? Also, whats the likelihood of the clutch needing a change too?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bottom , end , pics

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page