Scared by old reputations maybe? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Astra

Scared by old reputations maybe?

Hi All,
I'm new here at AO. I owned a 1978(?) T Reg Guillieta from 1985-1987 loved it, but the cost to replace the clutch at that time was mega, think the gearbox was right on the back axel or something, any way sold it to a mate who still has it, but it hasn't turned a wheel for 10 years.
Any way my Astra diesel (yuk) has now completed 246k and its time for it to go. I am looking for a diesel replacement and would love a 156 2.4 JTD. The problem is that i have been influenced somewhat by the likes of Top Gear, although they seem to love Alfas they ridicule the reliability. I know that TG is perhaps a little too comedic and Hammond is only Clarksons minimee, but i am a bit worried. Any way sorry for the waffle, but i have seen a 2001 156 2.4JTD Estate with 99k. it has full Alfa history and a belt and water pump change at 72k (second change) its immaculate... i love it...but still have some concerns. i've read that this car 'eats suspension'. Is that right? would I need to change the suspension particularly often? I have changed jobs and now only do about 12k miles year. Any advice would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

I think it's fair to say that Alfas are no more or less reliable than the average car these days. All models of cars have 'issues' some well known others less well known, VW coil packs, BMW Vanos, Vauxhall 1.6 8v engines which only last 60000 miles before a rebore is required.... Alfa cambelts... etc

But a well looked after 156 2.4 JTD should be a sound car. Yes true, you will need to look at suspension bushes on a fairly regular basis, but this might depend how and where you drive and just how 'fussy' you might be. I bet there a lot of people out there driving 156's around with knackered rear radius arms who don't actually realise, though to be fair you would notice a knocking top arm or anti roll bar link. 156's do it seems have Pasta for suspension bushes so you end up changing bits every year or so, but a good independent won't charge a massive amount for these jobs and they don't stop the car, just make it rattle a bit or drive a bit loosely.

If you love the 156's, and there is lot's to love about them, then go for it, chances are if you choose sensibly get a car with known history it will give you far more pleasure than grief
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 07-07-11 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Astra

Thanks for that VM, your opening comment seems so true, all cars have their problems and i think dissapointed owners are more likely to post negatives on forums than positive comment from delighted ones, i asked a mechanic friend of mine who actually hates being a mechanic and his quote was that 'all modern cars are rubbish, over enigineered and too expensive to repair also too reliant on electrical management systems'.
Iam perhaps being over cautious, mainly because i am on a budget and i can't cover expensive repairs easily. But the reviews on some cars are so eyeopening. Ihad no idea of all the common faults on cars i always though were bullet proof like beemers and mercs. honda, in my research seem the best but oh boy their expensive and boring
AO Platinum Member

I've run a 155 up to 190k and it only ever needed one set of wishbone arms and one rear trailing arm bearing in that time.

Mind you... the rest of the suspension was pretty tired by them (top mounts etc.) but it passed its MOT every year until one of the front dampers started leaking. It's pretty okay for suspension.

My 145 is knocking on the door of 100k and has only just started to develope a knock from the front wishbone arm.. a little earlier than the 155 one started to go... but not bad for a 13 years old motor.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
reputations , scared

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page