Cam locking blocks - fitting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cumbria

Member car:

147 2.0 l Lusso

Cam locking blocks - fitting

Hi,
I am part way through a cam belt change on a 2.0l engine. I haven't yet taken the old belt off so cam timing has not yet been disturbed in any way.
I set tdc and located the cam locking blocks. The inlet one fits perfectly but the exhaust one is just slightly off as you can see in the photo.
So, should I (a) use some pieces of lead packing under the right hand end of the block and against the cam lobe to secure the camshaft from rotating, or (b) turn the camshaft slightly to settle the block properly on to it. I reckon the cam would need to be moved 2 - 3 degrees.

The belts have been done before so possibly the cam has been a little out, or would there be that much movement in the belts anyway? The engine was running perfectly.

Oh, and it is really annoying at this stage to find I need longer unobtainable bolts for the cam locks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0273.jpg (64.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Take box B. Move the cam so the lock fits properly. Sounds like the last change wasn't done quite right.

TotallyAlfa sell long M7 bolts. They are a bit like hens' teeth though!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 30-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 l Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainfm View Post
Take box B. Move the cam so the lock fits properly. Sounds like the last change wasn't done quite right.

TotallyAlfa sell long M7 bolts. They are a bit like hens' teeth though!
Thanks iainfm. I wasn't sure how generic the cam locking blocks are, or how closely to expect them to fit. I presume that all sorts of different cam profiles are available, so they wouldn't necessarily always snug down.

I found some longer 7mm X 1 bolts at the local tractor / agricultural dealers. But then where else would you go to find hens' teeth!
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddclutch View Post
Thanks iainfm. I wasn't sure how generic the cam locking blocks are, or how closely to expect them to fit. I presume that all sorts of different cam profiles are available, so they wouldn't necessarily always snug down.

I found some longer 7mm X 1 bolts at the local tractor / agricultural dealers. But then where else would you go to find hens' teeth!
The profiles of all TS 1.8 and 2.0 cams should be the same (to within a fairly minute tolerance). The only thing that would change that is wear on the lobes. I usually check the lobes with the cam locks to make sure they're ok.

I've heard that some cam locks (laser possibly, but don't quote me) are a little bit out though.

True...
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 30-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 l Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainfm View Post
The profiles of all TS 1.8 and 2.0 cams should be the same (to within a fairly minute tolerance). The only thing that would change that is wear on the lobes. I usually check the lobes with the cam locks to make sure they're ok.

I've heard that some cam locks (laser possibly, but don't quote me) are a little bit out though.

True...

The blocks I have are Laser ones. After taking that photo I removed the blocks, checked tdc with a dial gauge and then turned the engine twice and re-fitted the locking blocks. This time they both went on properly and were a reasonably close fit so I just carried on.

Job finished. Just need to go and test it now!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
blocks , cam , fitting , locking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page