Anyone used, or using a 10w50 oil in a t-spark engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 21-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Anyone used, or using a 10w50 oil in a t-spark engine?

Hi all,

My car burns a lot of oil, I use 10w40 semi synthetic as that is the "correct oil", I am just curious as to who uses a 10w50, as I am thinking of trying it so see if it makes any difference. I have to put in a quater of a litre about every 200 miles, so I am spending rather a lot on oil at the moment, so any suggestions on any oils which would reduce this amount would be appreciated. Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
10w-60 is recommended for the 2.0 to reduce oil consumption. I doubt the 10w-40 is still in the books as the correct oil, except for the 1.4/1.6/1.8 engines
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Alfa originally specified a 10w-40 semi synthetic or a 10w-60 fully synthetic. Anything in between (such as 10w-50) will be fine as well.

Oil consumption can vary between different brands, even if the viscosity is the same, so using a thicker oil won't nessesarily make oil consumption lower.

I found that TS engines run best (quieter and smoother) on a 5w-40 fully synthetic.
AO Platinum Member

If it was me.... with that kind of consumption I'd be a bit worried. Try to work out why the beast is losing oil and fix it.

Meanwhile, the Big H. sells 15W/40 semi synthetic (purple can) which should cut your consumption in half and may be cheaper than bunging 10W60 synthetic in there, until you fix the real problem.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

10w60 was only originally specified for the 2.0 JTS engine. It was never specified for the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 TS engines.

I agree with Symon, a fully synthetic 5w40 is the best for your TS engine. I've been using this spec now for over 5 years in the 916 Spider, and it never burns any oil. Selenia actually do a very good 5w40 oil, but there are plenty more on the market as well.

I personally never rated the Selenia semi-synthetic 10w40 oil as specified for these engines. It always went dirty very quickly and even with every oil/filter change at 6,000 miles it looked in a real state.

A fully synthetic 5w40 will be the best for your TS engine and will help a little more on those cold winter mornings.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
10w60 was only originally specified for the 2.0 JTS engine. It was never specified for the 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 TS engines.
10W60 WAS in the manual for the TS engines with a note saying something like "for sporty use".
The 2008 147 manual I've just looked at has 10W60 for the 2.0TS and 10W40 for the 1.6TS.

As for the oil looking "dirty", the dirt will be in the engine, if it isn't held in the oil you have to ask yourself where it is...!

An oil that comes out still looking clean at the oil change is not necessarily a good thing.
(Post Link) post #7 of 26 Old 25-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for all your replies.

When I changed the oil last I used Nulon Fully Synthetic 5w40 as I managed to get hold of some very cheap, but within 150 miles it was pretty much down to the minimum on the dipstick. I am now, and have been for the last 400 miles topping it up with Nulon 10w40 Semi Synthetic, as that is what I have always used, and have litres of the stuff. Maybe it just doesn't like Nulon, and when it comes to the next change I shall try Valvoline 10w40 as I have a couple of 5 litre bottles of the stuff.

Ralf, I have looked over the car, and I can't find ANY evidence of leaks anywhere. I really can't be bothered with any problems with the engine on the car, as the car has been a nightmare and a money pit since I bought it in January, but the engine has been faultless and I really want it to stay that way

[SIGPIC]https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/signaturepics/sigpic91650_3.gif[/SIGPIC]
AO Member

County: Split-Dalmatia

Member car:

147GTA

I used Mobil 1 F1, 5W-50 before in my 1.8TS..., all the best i can say...
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
When I got the Alfa in '98 the oil consumption was the normal 1 litre in 1000/1500 miles ... in 2003, after a cambelt problem, I had the piston rings replaced as they were showing signs of tiny cracks, plus there was a scratch on cylinder 1 .. not a deep scratch but visible to the naked eye.

Now ... hardly any oil is used in the six months (around 6000 miles) that I do an oil change. I have a couple of small oil leaks .. visible on the engine ... think it could be the cam cover gasket.

And that's on Selenia Semi 10/40. Always used it ..

Probably not what you want to hear though ..

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

County: Roscommon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVScotty View Post
Hi all,

My car burns a lot of oil, I use 10w40 semi synthetic as that is the "correct oil", I am just curious as to who uses a 10w50, as I am thinking of trying it so see if it makes any difference. I have to put in a quater of a litre about every 200 miles, so I am spending rather a lot on oil at the moment, so any suggestions on any oils which would reduce this amount would be appreciated. Thanks :-)
Why are you topping up so often so little tho?? Try holding out till the level is just over MIN.
Often you'll see that the level stabilizes somewhere between MAX and MIN. It doesnt have to be at max all the time.
(Post Link) post #11 of 26 Old 25-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretino View Post
Why are you topping up so often so little tho?? Try holding out till the level is just over MIN.
Often you'll see that the level stabilizes somewhere between MAX and MIN. It doesnt have to be at max all the time.
Hi Cretino,

I am topping up so little and so often because it is required....You are right in the fact that it doesn't NEED to be at max all the time, but I want it to be at max all the time. I do a lot of long journeys (240 mile round trips) so I always check the oil before hand, and with the consumption being as it is, I wouldn't want to risk it burning it all, therefore I always keep it on the maximum line.

I don't really agree with you on the holding out until it is just over minimum....for what reason would you do this? Surely it is better to err on the side of caution and keep it topped up as much as possible.
AO Member

The idea is that the sinking of the level might stop somewhere between max and min.
the engine might use much less than you think. Find out how much is the difference between min and max in your engine and use that to predict how long you can go. CHECK verry often but only top up when you have to.

I was thought this by an verry old mechanic a long time ago and since have seen this be true with many engines , both HGV and cars. It has something to do with the airpressure build up in the carter i think.

If for modern engines is no longer true maybe some one can rectify.(maybe diff between max and min has become smaller).
AO Platinum Member

Max-Min on the dipstick is 1L
Very VERY bad idea to wait until it has reached Min before topping up.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Max-Min on the dipstick is 1L
Very VERY bad idea to wait until it has reached Min before topping up.
Oh thats a very small difference to me. i guess my system is outdated then.
What do you suggest regarding when to top up? if 250ml fits in? or 500ml maybe?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretino View Post
Oh thats a very small difference to me. i guess my system is outdated then.
What do you suggest regarding when to top up? if 250ml fits in? or 500ml maybe?
Simple. Top up if it is below "Max".

1L isn't a "small difference" when the sump & filter only hold 4.4L
Some of the later engines in the MiTo hold considerably less oil.
ie the basic 1.4 only holds 2.9L
sergioq

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Alfa originally specified a 10w-40 semi synthetic or a 10w-60 fully synthetic. Anything in between (such as 10w-50) will be fine as well.

Oil consumption can vary between different brands, even if the viscosity is the same, so using a thicker oil won't nessesarily make oil consumption lower.

I found that TS engines run best (quieter and smoother) on a 5w-40 fully synthetic.
Symon, what would you suggest is the best oil to run in a 2.5 V6 from 99?

AO Platinum Member

10W40 semi-synthetic.. For summer, or if your donkey likes a drop of the black stuff.. try 15W40 semi-synthetic.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioq View Post
Symon, what would you suggest is the best oil to run in a 2.5 V6 from 99?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
10W40 semi-synthetic.. For summer, or if your donkey likes a drop of the black stuff.. try 15W40 semi-synthetic.

Ralf S.
Pretty much waht Ralf said..

My last V6 got 10w-40 semi, although I have run them on 5w-40 fully synthetic as well.

They tend not to burn much unlike twinnies.

A 10w-50 would be better if you use the car on track, especially on the 2.5 as it doesn't have an oil-air heat exchanger like the 3.0 and 3.2 V6's do.
Essexsixpod

Anyone who's followed my posts will know i had similair issue with oil consumption...over 5 weeks i used 5ltrs of 15w/40 Halfords semi but in the last couple of those weeks the oil consumption dropped considerably & i then put MOBIL Formula 1 10w/60 fully synthetic in & it has stayed just off max for two weeks now with spirited driving!
Reckon the oil in the sump when i picked it up was cheap thin stuff..possibly like yours mate..i have no visible signs of leaks either so fingers crossed yours will settle down with an oil change. Good Luck.

(Post Link) post #20 of 26 Old 12-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Nice one, I have got myself some Gulf Competition 10w60 fully synthetic which is going in tomorrow when I have access to some ramps. Hopefully it will solve the issues, and I am glad to hear it solved yours :-)
Essexsixpod

Quote:
Nice one, I have got myself some Gulf Competition 10w60 fully synthetic which is going in tomorrow when I have access to some ramps. Hopefully it will solve the issues, and I am glad to hear it solved yours :-)
Good luck mate,,,but still check it often...as it happens i just topped mine up 2 day but thats still the first time in a fortnight!

(Post Link) post #22 of 26 Old 19-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Wooohooo! It worked! Put the Gulf Competition 10/60 in 5 days ago, done 500 miles since and it hasn't used a drop. If I still had the 10/40 in it would have used about half a litre!
Essexsixpod

Quote:
Wooohooo! It worked! Put the Gulf Competition 10/60 in 5 days ago, done 500 miles since and it hasn't used a drop. If I still had the 10/40 in it would have used about half a litre!
Result mate!.......well pleased for ya...but its a bloody weird thing still the same!

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire
These engines seem so accumulate a lot of oil residue.. and if so.. maybe the oil rings are gummed up a tad..
It maybe due to the use of Selina in the cars early days... A few short changes using Castrol or Shell or something may help clean things up a bit..
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
another vote for me for the Gulf 10/60.

Tried Silkolene/Fuchs 10/50 ester based oil and it burnt the same as 10/40, Castrol 10/60 was marginally better, but mrs P's 147 sele just loves the Gulf 10/60, also has the added benefit of shutting the variator up as well.

HTH

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
10w50 , engine , oil , tspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page