Best V6 Diesel Engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 15-06-11 Thread Starter
Status: HIDed and LEDed love the effect!!!
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Gloucestershire
Posts: 241
Best V6 Diesel Engine

Hi,
I know that my question is a generic one, and not particularly related to Alfa Romeo.
But, I am interested in knowing opinions on the best V6 Diesel around, in terms of:
1. Performance
2. Economy
3. Refinement

I currently own the 2.4 JTDm Alfa 159 (Wonderful kit, F1 remapped), and am interested in replacing it with a V6 Diesel sometime soon.

I apologise if the question is in the wrong place.
dg170775 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: To GTB or not to GTB?
AO Silver Member
 
TribesMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Slovenia
County: -
Posts: 2,292
Well I would say the BMWs 3.0 diesel is the best in the market at the moment, but it it inline 6 not V6. Because it is inline engine it is much more refined, as the inline 6 cylinder engines are perfectly balanced. V6 are not.

Also Mercedes has a new 3 liter V6 diesel in the E series. It uses a new generation ball bearing turbo and 2000 bar rail pressure. It produces almost 260BHP and 620Nm.
TribesMan is offline  
Status: Pondering powerflex..
AO Silver Member
 
Redmatt75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 2,428
The V6 Diesel in the Jag XF 'seems' pretty nice (at least sitting in the passenger seat). Not sure about the economy, but certainly goes well.
Redmatt75 is offline  
Status: Arggghhhhh
AO Member
 
Alfa 156 JTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 207

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Well I would say the BMWs 3.0 diesel is the best in the market at the moment, but it it inline 6 not V6. Because it is inline engine it is much more refined, as the inline 6 cylinder engines are perfectly balanced. V6 are not.

Also Mercedes has a new 3 liter V6 diesel in the E series. It uses a new generation ball bearing turbo and 2000 bar rail pressure. It produces almost 260BHP and 620Nm.
Alfa 156 JTD is offline  
Status: playing kill by numbers
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Belgium
County: Down in the Park
Posts: 8,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Well I would say the BMWs 3.0 diesel is the best in the market at the moment, but it it inline 6 not V6. Because it is inline engine it is much more refined, as the inline 6 cylinder engines are perfectly balanced. V6 are not.
the downside of an inline 6 engine is the long crank though. if this is a problem on a petrol already, how massive do they make a diesel crank?
Cuore_Sportivo_155 is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
the downside of an inline 6 engine is the long crank though. if this is a problem on a petrol already, how massive do they make a diesel crank?
I don't think the issue of crank whip is a massive problem on inline 6 engines as long as they have 7 main bearings.

A straight 6 is much smoother than a V6, the trouble with a straight 6 is fitting it under the bonnet, especially in transverse engine applications.
symon is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I don't think the issue of crank whip is a massive problem on inline 6 engines as long as they have 7 main bearings.

A straight 6 is much smoother than a V6, the trouble with a straight 6 is fitting it under the bonnet, especially in transverse engine applications.
Volvo XC90 is a transverse 2.8 straight 6 twin-turbo with permanent 4wd. Work that one out
Pud237 is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
the downside of an inline 6 engine is the long crank though. if this is a problem on a petrol already, how massive do they make a diesel crank?
Doesn't seem to be a problem with BMWs straight 6 engines though. I've seen loads of 330d with over 200k on the clock..
Pud237 is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
badgers_nadgers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 7,154

Member car:

156 GTA SW

No idea if it's any good or not, as I've not driven it, but as a passenger, my brother in law's tdv6 disco seems nice.
badgers_nadgers is offline  
Status: zzzzzzzz
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 37,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Volvo XC90 is a transverse 2.8 straight 6 twin-turbo with permanent 4wd. Work that one out
It must have a very wide engine bay.

The Fiat coupe is cramped with 5 cylinders as you know.

I am pretty sure there was a straight 6 transverse in the Austin Princess in the 1970's as well.
symon is offline  
Status: Arggghhhhh
AO Member
 
Alfa 156 JTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 207

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
It must have a very wide engine bay.

The Fiat coupe is cramped with 5 cylinders as you know.

I am pretty sure there was a straight 6 transverse in the Austin Princess in the 1970's as well.

Rolls-Royce FB60 engine, 6-cylinder, ioev, in-line. 3,909cc, 95.25 x 91.44mm, 175bhp at 4,800rpm; 218lb ft at 3,000rpm. Borg-Warner 3-speed automatic transmission; steering-column gear-change; live (beam) rear axle with hypoid-bevel final drive.


Worked on loads of those

The crappy Vanden Plas

I was racing Dolly Sprints around that time .....................
Alfa 156 JTD is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
diesel , engine

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OBD II Codes Smaky Alfa 145 & 146 62 14-08-19 13:36
16 important OIL questions and answers oilman Alfa 147, 156 & GT 339 03-06-18 10:39
Which one is the best goldstud Tuning & Upgrades 17 24-06-08 11:50
2.4 jtd flatspot bruce Alfa 147, 156 & GT 31 11-05-08 09:08
A diesel shouldn't be this fast!!!! julian General Alfa Discussion 166 08-05-07 19:17

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome