flywheel...going...going... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 05-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Down

Member car:

98 GTV

flywheel...going...going...

my 2.4 jtd 156 which also has a remap is awful chattery from the passenger side of the engine bay...soon as i dip the clutch, the noise goes away, so im thinking it has to be the flywheel...have noticed no other judering/slipping etc.

My question is I know alot of other cars have solid flywheel conversion kits for them, but I wanted to hear someones expereince of having a solid flywheel on the jtd engine? Does it dramatically increase noise and vibration? Also where to look to get them, as I have emailed cgmotorsports and dragan performance which had been previously mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
the flywheel from a fiat 20VT petrol fits perfectly, then you can get a strengthened clutch for that....

all the other options require more DIY
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV

has anybody else tried the fiat 20vt flywheel conversion? If so wheres the cheapest place to get a flywheel
AO Gold Member

your inbox is full, bertieboo so I replied here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieboo
Hi,

I take it you have tried the 20v turbo flywheel on the 2.4 jtd engine? If so how has that worked out for you in terms of vibrations and gearbox trouble people speak of when converting to a solid flywheel?

Also where do you go to get a flywheel for a a 20vt coupe....secondhand one or can you get them new anywhere?

actually, I went the long way and used a 16v 2.0 TS flywheel so it could fit an adapted V6 clutch. Then I got an uprated GTA clutch and made the adaptations on that.

The flywheel and clutch are with a tuner now to be lightened and balanced, so not yet fitted...

I chose the TS option because I didn't know that the 20VT flywheel is a straight fit and because I had a 2.0 flywheel in the shed...

the 2.4 should be easier to vonvert to SMF than a 1.9 as there is much less vibration due to the 5 cylinder design. In a 4 cylinder all pistons pass through the TDC and BDC together while on a 5 cyl only one cylinder at a time passes a dead centre... also, the work strokes on a 2.4 overlap each other, while they don't on a 1.9...

if you have a 136 bhp 2.4 like me you also have a balance shaft inside the engine block, which also acts as a dampener. the 140/150 and 20V jtd don't have this shaft.

I probably won't get round to fitting the clutch until after my holidays.... let's say 2nd half of july...

you should be able to get the 20VT flywheel from breakers (could be any 20V fiat lump uses the same size flywheel) or even new from FIAT. what is important is the clutch fitment, as the 20VT uses essentially a V6 clutch, as does the JTD (similar to the 166 V6 flywheel and clutch)
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 09-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV

how would this work with the crankshaft sensor etc?
AO Gold Member

crankshaft sensor looks at a special wheel mounted inside the crankcase. nothing changes there
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieboo View Post
my 2.4 jtd 156 which also has a remap is awful chattery from the passenger side of the engine bay...soon as i dip the clutch, the noise goes away, so im thinking it has to be the flywheel...have noticed no other judering/slipping etc.
Why do you think its flywheel? Mine was making chattery noises and they went with clutch pressed - and soon after clutch disintegrated ( clutch plate). Changed the clutch and 4 months
later, chattery back and clutch went This time around changed clutch fork, bushes and after 5k no chattery. ( yet)
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV

well i actually have a fiat/alfa technician working on it as a homer and he diagnosed it as the flywheel....found it a bit hard to believe when its done less than 40k. i take to change the clutch fork and bushes the gearbox still has to come off? Did you notice any other symptoms other than chattery at idle?

County: Sofia

Member car:

Alfa 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
your inbox is full, bertieboo so I replied here:

actually, I went the long way and used a 16v 2.0 TS flywheel so it could fit an adapted V6 clutch. Then I got an uprated GTA clutch and made the adaptations on that.

fitted...
Please can you explain what adaptation is need to fit 2.5 V6 clutch on 2.0 TS flywheel?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
flywheelgoinggoing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page