dead spider update...what to do next? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
dead spider update...what to do next?

hi guys, im taking advantage of the bank holiday and today got the head out and bottom end out. the head was a pain as the two bolts on piston one were knackard but got them out in the end. the bottom end wasnt to bad once seperated from the gear box.
Attachment 117365

Attachment 117366

Attachment 117367

all thats left in is the gearbox and driveshaft

so my question is what to do next?

i have a complete engine with everything attatched, gearbox driveshaft basically everything, just needs belts doing.

so do i A..........remove gearbox and drive shaft and put the whole engine in as one unit. if i do this how do i put a whole engine in the car? (crane it in or lift the car over engine?)

or B............... take my engine apart and rebuild it in the car, so attatch the bottom end to the gearbox thats already in the car and start from there?
thanks jon

Last edited by jonalfaspider; 21-01-13 at 21:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Ducato LWB

If it was me I would take option b, only due to trying to work in a single garage and having taken the engine apart and out as you have. Just my 2 pence
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. that second engine is an unknown quantity. I'd fix the engine you know and then re-fit it. Then once you have that job out the way, overhaul the other one you have (since it's on the bench) and either keep it or sell it..

Ralf S.
348azeus

I see it No.3 which has gone - was it big ends ? - The chances are that the crank and conrod are shot if that's the case. Not doing it properly could just give you headaches further down the line.

Do you know the history of the replacement engine ? I would put new shells and belts, replace the clutch and put that in as a whole unit. I would do it as a complete unit with everything attached and make the car meet it halfway.

(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 31-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
I see it No.3 which has gone - was it big ends ? - The chances are that the crank and conrod are shot if that's the case.

yeah big end, crank and conrod no1 knackard, sorry didnt really explain very well.

Do you know the history of the replacement engine ?

the replacement engine has done 66k and i listened to it before i bought it, ran find no knocks etc but no idea when the belts were done.

the plan is to change the shells, belts and variator, i was thinking about the clutch but depends on the funds:

I would do it as a complete unit with everything attached and make the car meet it halfway.

was does that mean, meet the car half way? this is my first engine change so not sure how to go about doing it. its the weight and size of the engine that worries me as to how to get it in as one unit?
AO Platinum Member

In the factory they would lift the engine and transmission as a complete assembly from below.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dead , spider , updatewhat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page