What engine power do I have & is the fuel consumption right? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 29-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

05 1.9 JTDm GT

What engine power do I have & is the fuel consumption right?

Hi All,

After only having had my 04 1.9 JTD 16v since Tuesday (I drove her Thursday) and the Mrs has taken it up north for the weekend, I havent had opportunity to put many miles on her (92 on Thursday). But, the trip computer gave me an average fuel consumption on the way to work of 74.4mpg and on the return leg 62.1mpg.

The journey starts with country lane for 1 miles, with a few stop start junctions. Then enter dual carrage way for 15 or so miles, large roundabout with lights, then back onto dual carrage way for another 10-12 miles. After this, single carrage way for 20 or so miles ranging from 40mph to 70, oups, I mean 60. Then about a mile in-town driving. THe return leg is the same, just in reverse (not gear).

So, I wonder how accurate this is and what others are getting from the same car? I am fairly light footed and can srape out mileage from any car, but I wasnt be ultra economical as wanted to see what power she'd have for normal driving.

Then my second question: I have seen power figures for this car as both 140bhp and 150bhp. How would I know which mine is?

Many thanks for any and all input.

Regards, Upex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
The 150BHP motors only started to be fitted in late 05 so you probably have a 140BHP motor - the way to check and be certain is from the engine plate code which is on the slam panel under the bonnet, there is a thread in the 156 forum area which will confirm which it is.

The MPG from the cental display is not very accruate in all cases the only way to calculate this is to brim fill your tank run it for 400 miles or so and then refill the tank to the brim - you know your milage and the amount of fuel used so a simple calculation will tell you what you are using.

My 156 does about 46-48 to the gallon with a mixture of fast A road and town driving about 600 miles to the tank.

Just found a thread with the codes you are looking for

140bhp: 192A5000
150bhp: 937A5000

This does assume that the car has not bee remapped to give greater power.

Last edited by CJO; 29-05-11 at 11:21. Reason: more info
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 29-05-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 1.9 JTDm GT

Thanks CJO

As the MRS is away in the car at present, I'll await her return and check then. Regards the fuel, I thought the range that the computer gave (on a full tank) of 1600 miles was slightly optomistic lol. even though it said I averaged 91.1mpg on the way home from the petrol station lol.

Out of interest, I checked Parkers Guide and it showed that 150bhp versions were made from 19th October 2004. Not sure how correct this is though. Alfa Romeo 156 Saloon - 1.9 JTD M-jet Veloce (150bhp) 4d - Facts & Figures - Parkers

How would I be able to tell if she has been mapped? I'd say not, but not sure how I'd check. As what with the pending changes to MOT which would then make it fail, I'd be interested in getting the mapping gone.

I'll attempt to get the mileage measured and post back how I get on for future reference.

Thanks, Upex.

Last edited by Upex; 29-05-11 at 11:50. Reason: Forgot to ask about Mapping
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I'd say it has been mapped and that's why your trip computers is so far out wit the calculations... a proper map doesn't have that effect, but a cheap 'n dirty map does...
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

The easiest way to check is the badge-if it says "JTD Multijet 16v" its the 140 if it says "JTDm 16v" its the 150.

Soz thought it was a 147, in which case its almost certainly a 140 as the only 156s to get the 150 JTD Multijet 16v (slightly different than the 150 JTDm 16v-the 156 never got this engine) was the "Sport" special edition.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
... its almost certainly a 140 as the only 156s to get the 150 JTD Multijet 16v (slightly different than the 150 JTDm 16v-the 156 never got this engine) was the "Sport" special edition.
More than that.

But to be sure he needs to check the engine type on the chassis plate as mentioned 5-days ago.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

You mean more than just the limited edition, ran out Sport ?

What others ?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
You mean more than just the limited edition, ran out Sport ?

What others ?
100% the 156 Crosswagon and 156 Sportwagon Q4 and it looks like some normal 2004MY Sportwagon too.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Mine has a big sticker inside the drivers door just below the catch on the body "LUSSO 150"

I have been looking at fuel economy for a couple of years and reported here:

My computer is fairly accurate but very slightly pessimistic. Others have reported very optimistic readings.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
100% the 156 Crosswagon and 156 Sportwagon Q4 and it looks like some normal 2004MY Sportwagon too.
Wasnt counting the Q4s as they werent sold in the UK !

Think Parkers only lists the Sport as having the 150 engine-but they often get it wrong, dont think they lsit the 156 2.4 JTD 140 at all.

Spider95 has a Sport and he was quite insistent that it was only model to get it. TBH until he said I didnt think any 156 had the 150 engine (Q4s accepted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI-ger boz View Post
Mine has a big sticker inside the drivers door just below the catch on the body "LUSSO 150"

I have been looking at fuel economy for a couple of years and reported here:

My computer is fairly accurate but very slightly pessimistic. Others have reported very optimistic readings.
But yours is a 147 which never got the JTD Multijet 16v 150, only the JTDm 16v 150.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

Just suggesting that there may be a sticker somewhere to confirm the engine. I wouldn't expect the fuel economy to be vastly different either. It shows the sort of different mpg depending how you drive on a motorway as a guide to the OP.
(Post Link) post #12 of 15 Old 04-06-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

05 1.9 JTDm GT

Thanks for all the info. The slam panel numbers idicate she is a 140bhp version. Thanks to CJO for the info.

typos1, Regards the badge on the back mine says JTD 16v M-Jet (i assume thats what you meant by multijet.

Regards the fuel econnomy, The Mrs returned from her trip having covered 601 miles. She used £72 of diesel @ 142.9p per litre why are we putting up with these prices? Not sure what that works out at, will try and figure it out.

I also measured my trip to work and got 84.3miles for 8.52 litres, again, will try to work how how much that equates to.

Thanks for all the input.

Regards, Upex.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
The trip computers are notoriously inaccurate .. so the best method is to fill to the brim, do the journey and refill preferably at same garage and same pump (pumps are notoriously inaccurate too especially the cut-off).

Then divide the number of mile by gallons consumed and you have your MPG.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Yeah, M-Jet=Multijet
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upex View Post
Regards the fuel econnomy, The Mrs returned from her trip having covered 601 miles. She used £72 of diesel @ 142.9p per litre why are we putting up with these prices? Not sure what that works out at, will try and figure it out.
I make that 50.38 Litres of diesel which gives 54.23 MPG

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
consumption , engine , fuel , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page