Turbo rattle, smoking and loss of power - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-05-11 Thread Starter

County: Somerset

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

Help Turbo rattle, smoking and loss of power

Hi all an appeal for help!
54 reg Alfa 156 jtd just recovered back to UK after daughter suffered loss of power on autoroute. My prelim. check resulted in major plumes of grey/white exhaust smoke on starting which persisted during driving unless throttled right back. Very sluggish on power, and would not rev over 3000 rpm. At garage with engine hot exhaust still visible but not too bad, but there was a tinny rattle from engine bay (like a loose exhaust heat shield). Best attempt to locate noise so far is in area of turbo

Any suggestions what a failed turbo sounds like? How best to check to confirm / eliminate if this is it. Garage are going to run engine without aux. belt to eliminate this area.

Will come back when further info available.

Many thanks. Ken

Update - sorry as with most things in the world there is nothing new. I have just found a thread on this subject which gives some good pointers.

Last edited by Alfalaf; 02-05-11 at 18:10. Reason: Just found thread covering possible cause
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

I hope it's nothing toooo painful...

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Its possible the rattle may be a red herring. If you have a ruptured intake pipe (ie after the turbo) then you would get smoke and low power due to lost boost. Also, the turbo itself may be fine (there is no blue smoke indicating failed seals) so the turbo may be stuck in 'low' boost mode. Worth checking the actuator arm moves (and isn't rattling due to a broken linkage etc).

Keith
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalaf View Post
54 reg Alfa 156 jtd just recovered back to UK after daughter suffered loss of power on autoroute. My prelim. check resulted in major plumes of grey/white exhaust smoke on starting which persisted during driving unless throttled right back. Very sluggish on power, and would not rev over 3000 rpm. At garage with engine hot exhaust still visible but not too bad, but there was a tinny rattle from engine bay (like a loose exhaust heat shield). Best attempt to locate noise so far is in area of turbo

Any suggestions what a failed turbo sounds like? How best to check to confirm / eliminate if this is it. Garage are going to run engine without aux. belt to eliminate this area.

Many thanks. Ken

Update - sorry as with most things in the world there is nothing new. I have just found a thread on this subject which gives some good pointers.
Might Help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Turbocharger Trouble Shooting Guide.jpg (63.4 KB, 63 views)

County: New South Wales

Member car:

2006 147 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalaf View Post

Many thanks. Ken

Hi Alfalaf
Did you find what the issue is? Mine has the same problem - a little rattly noise near the cat converter turbo area. I have taken the cat converter off and its fine. It does sound like a heat shield but I checked this and found them all to be tight. I have checked the turbo and it seems to have no play. Just wondering if it could be the gasket between the cat and the turbo. Very strange...

Brian

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
loss , power , rattle , smoking , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page