2.0 jts oil leak - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-04-11 Thread Starter

County: Nottinghamshire
Looky Looky 2.0 jts oil leak

Hello guys, I have a 156 sportwagon with 2.0 jts engine, It has got an oil leak, looks like it could be from head gasket but oil is present on exhaust manifold studs and bottom edge of exhaust manifold gasket. The oil is above the level of head gasket.there is no oil leaking from rocker gasket. I have tried nipping up the exhaust stud nuts but no difference. produces a droplet of oil every 5 minuites or so and it drips onto the cat ( lots of smoke!!!). could it be that the exhaust stud holes go thru into an oil well for the valves and need sealing with some sort of threadlock ? or a cracked cylinderhead or maybe it is the Headgasket. The manifold studs are tight and i suspect i will break one if/ when i try to remove them. Any Ideas ? regards Pete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

If the manifold was loose, you'd get a blowing exhuast and that's all. There's no oil in there.

The head gasket doesn't usually leak oil outwards.. between and next to the oilways there are coolant channels and it would be more likely that any leaking oilways at the head gasket would see oil getting into the coolant or being sucked into the combustion chamber (and burnt) before it got out.

Your most likely problem is a rocker cover gasket or a camshaft o-ring. Rocker cover can leak anywhere (even round the back... ) but the tilt of the engine means the oil can creep round to the front before dripping south. Look in the spark plug holes too, to see if there's oil in there.. that would kind of prove it.

For the camshaft o-rings.. look for oil at the cam pulley end of the engine.. around the belt cover. That's probably running down the side of the engine and also spreading round to the front (since oil "creeps").

Rocker cover is about £20 and no bother to change.. so have a look. If it's the camshaft seals then you'll need to take the cams out to change them.. you might want to put a new cam-belt and tensioner in there at the same time, since they'll have to take those fellas off to change the o-ring anyway.. so it's worth getting the belt/tensioner done at the same time.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 29-04-11 Thread Starter

County: Nottinghamshire
Thanks for your input Ralf s. I can rule out the rocker cover gasket and cam seals - it is dry all the way round. There is no smoke from exhaust. I am not keen on removing the head yet, as the motor runs great and no oil in water or vise versa, and no overheating problems plus the cambelt etc was done 6k ago. I think if oil was escaping from head gasket I would expect it to dribble down the block and NOT rise 5-6mm up to the exhaust manifold then along it and flow to the end of the stud before forming a drip and from there dropping onto the cat. So I will try to remove the manifold and the stud that collects oil, hopefully be able to see where its leaking from.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

It's not uncommon for oil to pass the exhaust studs from the galleries behind them. Relatively simple solution though - extract them and refit with lock'n'seal (or similar).

IIRC it's just the bottom ones that are affected, but I tend to do them all.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! I remembered reading something on here ages ago about an exhaust stud hole drilled "too far" and opening up an oil channel.. so there might be mileage in it, if the rest of the engine is dry. The solution is "as above"..

The rest of the engine sounds fine.. I'd only dismantle it as a last resort.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jts , leak , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page