Question: VTG mechanism 1,9 JTD 16V - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 20-04-11 Thread Starter

County: Bayern

Member car:

147 JTD 16V

Hmmm Question: VTG mechanism 1,9 JTD 16V

I'm looking for information concerning Garrett turbo on Alfa 147 1,9 16V JTD (103kW) 2003 model:

VTG mechanism seems to be OK, the connecting rod moves approx. 10 mm down towards the vacuum-manifold when starting.

But I'm not sure, if this is the normal range of operation. Maybe it is not opening completely, so the turbo will deliver too much pressure at higher revs (having problems with that).
Before I start to disassemble the turbocharger for checking / cleaning the vanes & mechanism, there's my question:

Can anyone please give me information how many millimeters the VTG connecting rod moves normally from fully open to maximum closed position? Maybe someone has measured this on his car by pushing the mechanism up / down manually?

Many thanks
Maks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VGT.jpg (42.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
not sure if this helps it was posted in a thread a while ago(just noticed its a vw tech bullitin)
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...ustemnt-vw.jpg
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 21-04-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 JTD 16V

Hy sussexa, unfortunately this tech bulletin is not giving any hints concerning the amount of movement - but I took the keywords from there and searched for turbo calibration issues on the net... Without sucess so far: Most of the VTG mechanisms seem to have adjustable min. and max. limiting - the Garrett has not. Would be too easy. Anyway, many thanks for your help !!
Other experts out there ?
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
total amount of movement that the actuator can produce is about 20mm
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I'm looking for information concerning Garrett turbo on Alfa 147 1,9 16V JTD (103kW) 2003 model:

VTG mechanism seems to be OK, the connecting rod moves approx. 10 mm down towards the vacuum-manifold when starting.

But I'm not sure, if this is the normal range of operation. Maybe it is not opening completely, so the turbo will deliver too much pressure at higher revs (having problems with that).
Before I start to disassemble the turbocharger for checking / cleaning the vanes & mechanism, there's my question:

Can anyone please give me information how many millimeters the VTG connecting rod moves normally from fully open to maximum closed position? Maybe someone has measured this on his car by pushing the mechanism up / down manually?

Many thanks
Maks
If you are getting to highr pressure error (MCSF on display and SafeMod performance), it can be either:
- jamed VGT mechanism inside the turbo (if you can press it with fingers, and if it springs bac easily, that i not the case)
or
- faulty VGT solenoid
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 25-04-11 Thread Starter

Member car:

147 JTD 16V

Idea

Hy Coure Sportivo 155, hy losa,

this is what I was looking for ! Thanks a lot !!

The mechanism on my car moves freely about 10mm. It springs back, but not the whole way up (I remember that I was able to press it further upwards some weeks ago and it moved unwillingly another 10mm, making squeaking noise. Now that's no longer possible, mechanism seems to be blocked after the first 10mm of movement).

I think the diagnosis "jammed VTG vanes" is clear now (I already changed VTG selenoid).
I'm going to clean the mechanism or replace turbo, depending on condition.

I'll post an update when done...

Greetings
Maks

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
16v , jtd , mechanism , question , vtg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page