3.0 Cambelt Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV V6

3.0 Cambelt Failure

Hi Guys,
Long time lurker on here but never registered, have had to due to unfortunate circumstances.

Bought a V6 GTV yesterday, tidy condition, unbelievable history file, test drive running as sweet as a nut. Cambelt was last done 42k ago but more importantly 5 years almost to the day (11/04/2006). Made a low offer and thought I'd book it in straight away to have the cambelt replaced and, long story short, it snapped on the M4 10 miles from home

The cars just had a brand new clutch and various other things (bushes, arms, discs, pads, etc.) so I think it's just about a viable repair, particularly if I get it done properly with a guarantee but I guess there's always a limit to when this becomes a non-sensible way forward.

So, I guess my question is, what am I looking at (cost and damage)? Will it be f**ked? (I was doing about 60 in top at the time, it ran on overrrun for a good 200 yards or so but haven't turned it over since). I'd prefer a rebuild if it's possible as you never know with second hand engines but I guess that's an option as well and then the third is scrap/break it.

I live in West London, can anyone recommend a garage who'll do the rebuild properly and not rip me off. I see AutoLusso is highly recommended on here. My breakdown insurance covers me for recovery to a garage so won't need to pay for recovery and distance isn't a massive issue as long as it's not miles away. Any others?

Was so upset, had a great big smile on my face at the time as I've lusted after one of these for ages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Sorry to hear that mate, rotten luck. I had mine go on a 166 V6 and the repair was 3k (main dealer!) Alfa paid half though.

I honestly believe Autolusso is your best bet. Yes, it is going to mean a large bill but do remember to factor in the money you were about to spend on the Cam Belt service. I would also say to be prepared to use them for servicing after as this lengthens the warrenty on the unit.

I have no afiliation with Autolusso but there are many good reports on here and to be honest, having rebuilt the top end of a Twinspark myself, I have no idea how they do it for the money! Just keep that warrenty in mind as in all things in life, things can go wrong! best of luck mate.

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire
Sorry to hear that amajor I'd look at getting a new engine installed , as the labour cost might be more cost effective .
AO Member

County: Greater London
+1 for AutoLusso, sorry for your pain - that really bites.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 18-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV V6

Thanks guys, appreciate the sympathy, I've just had one of those weekends. Would you believe me if I told you the car I sold last week was driven into half an hour before the buyer came to pick it up? (on Saturday, day before the cambelt, I promise I'm not lying! )

Will get in touch with AutoLusso, thought I might try ProAlfa as well. Fingers crossed.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GTV Cup 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by amajor View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the sympathy, I've just had one of those weekends. Would you believe me if I told you the car I sold last week was driven into half an hour before the buyer came to pick it up? (on Saturday, day before the cambelt, I promise I'm not lying! )
Sorry for you on both occasions.
Are you sure your nickname is lucky !!

Best Wishes for a happy ish ending

Alan
AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:

Will get in touch with AutoLusso, thought I might try ProAlfa as well. Fingers crossed.
ProAlfa are very good also, I don't know how they will compare on price but great service.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV V6 Turbo

Either that or find a car that has been written off and has a good engine history.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:

We can sort it for you, give me a call tomorrow and we can go through the options 01582 869560 option 3

Chris is not going to want to take on a job like that, he tends to send his big stuff to us

Cheers

Ned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page