Another 156 JTS engine noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Parnumaa (Parnu)

Member car:

Sprint

Another 156 JTS engine noise

Hi
The car is having bit annoying sound at around 2500 rpm. Just like a little knock. Its been running like that for over a year know without getting any worst ? Also there is tappety noise at idle. Yesterday removed the aux belt without any change in sound.
Belts been replaced 20K km back. Car has done now 65K. Not been run low of oil.
Last visit to Alfa service they speculated it might be the variator but on cold startup no diesel sound
They also checked the cams and they where in good nick.
Now its time for next oil change.
Should I ask the service to look for the shells as well.
I reorded a soundclip with engine at operating temperature.
Bringing it to 2500 rpm keeping it there for I while and then giving a bit throttle flip and returning back to 2500 rpm and then to the idle.
Any ideas if this is normal sound or
YouTube - P1000640
Thanks in advance

Kristop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Doesn't sound like a bottom end knock to me, would tend to be slower, possibly an airleak that can be heard.
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 07-04-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Sprint

Sooo
Visited the dealer yesterday to sort things out but without success at the moment.
Valve gear checked - camshafts are OK and also no sticking valve.
Sump removed and all bottom end shells OK.
After that they thougt that the balance shaft might be the couse of this noise.
Engine back together and started without balance belt - without success.
Running out of ideas.
BUT in the sump where things that should`nt be there. Couple of metal pieces with size of 2-3 mm. They where not from alu but from harder compound
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Crank thrust bearings?

These are the ones that stop the crank from moving end to end.

Failure is not unheard.

County: -

Member car:

Alfa 166

How did it go?

Hello,

I have the exact same noise on my engine. How did it go what was the problem and how difficult is it to fix it?

Thanks!

/ Hasse
(Post Link) post #6 of 15 Old 06-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Sprint

At the moment there is a guess that it might be the variator.
I have not done nothing at the moment to solve the problem as it is not getting any worse. Hopefully at the end of this month when I have time to visit dealer.

Member car:

Alfa 166

Big end bearing or cam variator?

Ok thanks!

I really hope that it is the variator. I was informed that the noise could be caused by wrong engine oil. I am using Castrol magnatec 5w-30. The noise started to appear 300 km after a refill of 1 litre of statoil fully synthetic 5w-30 oil (the oil level was just below the min mark). I was recently informed that I should be using Castrol 10w-60. Is this true? Will that really make the engine noise disappear? I doubt it… It is a very expensive oil just for testing puroses… does anyone have a clue?
I recorded a movie with my engine noise…

YouTube - ‪VIDEO0001.3gp‬‏

The noise is best heard around 2000 to 3000 rpm when blipping on the pedal. It sounds worse in the movie than it actually is.

Kristop, I hope that you don’t think that I am stealing your thread. But I really think that we have the same problem

Doesn’t anyone recognize this problem?

Thanks in advance!
/Hans
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasse166 View Post
Ok thanks!

I really hope that it is the variator. I was informed that the noise could be caused by wrong engine oil. I am using Castrol magnatec 5w-30. The noise started to appear 300 km after a refill of 1 litre of statoil fully synthetic 5w-30 oil (the oil level was just below the min mark). I was recently informed that I should be using Castrol 10w-60. Is this true? Will that really make the engine noise disappear? I doubt it… It is a very expensive oil just for testing puroses… does anyone have a clue?
I recorded a movie with my engine noise…

YouTube - ‪VIDEO0001.3gp‬‏

The noise is best heard around 2000 to 3000 rpm when blipping on the pedal. It sounds worse in the movie than it actually is.

Kristop, I hope that you don’t think that I am stealing your thread. But I really think that we have the same problem

Doesn’t anyone recognize this problem?

Thanks in advance!
/Hans
10w-40 is what you should be using 5w-30 is too thin at minimum would be changing the oil ASAP...
fgc
AO Member

Any news what caused the kno

Any news about what the problem is with the knocking noise?

I have the same type of noise at similiar rpm.

Please let us know if you managed to find out what it is and how it was solved.

My timing belt will be changed in the next month will change variator as well just in case.

Thanks
Frank

County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

2005 156 Ti

Had mine just diagnosed,sounds similar at 2500-3000rpm.
Piston slap , quotes are being prepared, I may have to sit down to hear them though!
AO Silver Member

I have a similar noise before i rebuilt the engine but it only seemed to happen during a gear change...
Lacken156

check that the timing belt or balance belt tensioners are set to the correct tension.

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Well Happy

I have been trying to sort out my noisey engine for over two years,also low oil pressure problems at cold start and on hard right turns,several oil changes improved things,then an oil change and flush further improved things but no cure.
It became a toss up between dropping it and buying another car or fixing,decided on the latter,new oil pump and reshell,cams show virtualy no wear after 100'000 miles plus,a little marking on shells but the oil pump was the culprit,all the screws holding the pressure plate on were less than finger tight bar one that needed minimum help from a screwdriver,instead of the pump gears wearing a regular pattern on the plate , there was only an arc of about 30degrees where it had touched the plate,wonder it generated any oil pressure at all. Now nice and quiet and instant pressure.

Mike
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa View Post
10w-40 is what you should be using 5w-30 is too thin at minimum would be changing the oil ASAP...
It is according to the spec but as he's in Sweden where it's colder a lower starting SAE is probably needed. Although I wouldn't use Magnatec in a TS either.

I'd probably go for a 5W40or even 0W40 though but only in the winter if I lived there. Then I'd probably not have a 156 either but something 4x4
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
It is according to the spec but as he's in Sweden where it's colder a lower starting SAE is probably needed. Although I wouldn't use Magnatec in a TS either.

I'd probably go for a 5W40or even 0W40 though but only in the winter if I lived there. Then I'd probably not have a 156 either but something 4x4
I'm sure that 10-40 applies in the summer in Sweden??? (avg temp in sweden in july is 16.5 deg C)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , jts , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page