1.9 jtd (115bhp) wouldnt start & then did - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

propellorhead

1.9 jtd (115bhp) wouldnt start & then did

Hi all, I'm a diesel virgin firstly but I bought a jtd about two weeks ago and love it. plenty of squirt ang 40mpg average.

The problems are as follows:

It never gets up to temperature, I'm pretty sure its had the stat removed. On a good run it gets up there, ish.

next problem is tonight I went to start her up and the motor just turned over, didnt even try and fire. plenty cranking amps in the battery and the glow plug light went off as normal but nothing.

I lifted the bonnet looking for a priming pump and to check connections etc, I couldnt find the pump so started checking fuses. checked the keycode light. and checked alarm/immobiliser functioning. All fine.

Then started turning it over again and it started! turned it off and on again, with no p[roblems. went for an hours drive, all is fine

I just have a horrible feeling its going to happen again tomorrow

any ideas lads?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Galway
what do you mean by stat removed? i dont think its possible to drive the car without the stat. Ive got 2.4jtd and it does take a good few mins before it gets up to temperature. theres a test you can do thats on here somewhere about feeling the pipes from the rad top and bottom.
The starting thing may be just a loose connection or something which you may have pushed back in. best thing is to get a diagnostics done. out of curiosity, did you buy the blue 2003 i think it was 156 that was on donedeal?
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Could be crank sensor. Very common fault and not an expensive fix.
propellorhead

Hi lads, cars been fine since think you were right about the loose connection bear.

oh and mines bergundy in colour, bought it in santry.

About the stat, you can drive with it removed as its just a valve in the cooling system that from cold is closed and as the engine warms up it opens letting hot water into the radiator side.
This speeds up the engine warming up and keeps it at a nominal operating temperature once there.
mine is taking longer than a few minutes to warm up, and even on a good run its never fully up to temp.
This is why I'm thinking either the stat is removed or its failed in the open position, unscrupulous mechanics used to remove them if they failed in the closed position as the engine would overheat.
My next question is where is the stat located on the jtd? I know certain modern cars have to be virtually stripped to get at the stat I hope my ickle alfa isnt such a case

AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Bear in mind that diesels take significantly longer than petrol cars to reach full operating temperature. During the winter mine still wasn't up to temperature after a good 20 mins and even now it is milder it still takes at least 3 times longer to reach operating temp than my previous 2.0JTS. It does however reach and stick to 90 degrees when it gets there
propellorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
Bear in mind that diesels take significantly longer than petrol cars to reach full operating temperature. During the winter mine still wasn't up to temperature after a good 20 mins and even now it is milder it still takes at least 3 times longer to reach operating temp than my previous 2.0JTS. It does however reach and stick to 90 degrees when it gets there
been driving diesels for years with work so I'm used to them in that respect, its just the fact that it never quite gets to 90. even when I'm hossing the thing (it likes it) I'm just gonna get a stat and stick it in.
Doing oil and filter next weekend so I'll do it then and check back with results

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
115bhp , jtd , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page