156 jtd engine squeel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 08-03-11 Thread Starter
veg
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

156 2.4 20v JTD

156 jtd engine squeel

I have a fan belt squeek from my 2.4 jtd Mjet. Normally I would have said fan belt but reading the threads on this forum could it be a tensioner or some sort?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

Could certainly be the tensioner. The auxillary (fan) belt tensioner on mine was replaced by the previous owner at 90,000 miles due to squeeling on start up. Thats the expensive one! However, may also be a failing water pump or tensioner on the timing belt which needs doing ASAP. If the car is anywhere near due a timing belt then its worth getting everything stripped off and sorted,

Keith
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Probably either the tensioner or one of the idlers.

Best to get it seen to resonable soon - if the aux belt lets go it can tangle in the Cam belt which could turn expensive, but as keith says if the cam belt is due soon bite the bullet and get the lot done (including waterpump) all at the same time.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Hold on...................before going into the realms of rebuilding your engine

If it squeaks at start up and then goes away when revved, then usually the tensioner is stuck/seized.

This can be removed and repaired quite easily with some care and attention.

http://forum.alfa156.net/forum/forum...W=%20tensioner

Remember to replace the belt at the same time though.

To make sure its not anything on the timing belt run,
like the water pump belt tensioner or pulleys,
remove the axillary belt and run the engine, if all is quiet
then its definitely on the auxiliary belt run.

Last edited by Alfa 156 JTD; 08-03-11 at 19:51.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Mine was sqeaking when i got it in january. at first it went away after warming up but a week later it was nearly constant. A new aux belt and not a sqeak since.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 10-03-11 Thread Starter
veg
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 20v JTD

Just looked through the history and the belts and tensioners (aux and cam) were done at 60k about 14k miles ago. Cost a small fortune.

I will get a new aux belt and see what happens. also can you see if the tensioners on the belts aren't spinning (i.e. can you get a good look at them)?

By the way the 2.4 JTD 20v is a marvellous engine
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

You have fixed idler wheels and tensioner wheels. Any could cause the noise. As noted above, if you start the car with aux belt off that will tell you if you are in the right area. You can also check pulleys for roughness with the belt off. If the spring loaded aux tensioner seizes it could be your problem (was that changed? ~ £130 for the part). If it still squeels with aux belt of then please check water pump (esp if not changed at the belt service) as these will take out the cam belt if they fail £££££

Keith
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 10-03-11 Thread Starter
veg
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.4 20v JTD

good advice.........................
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg View Post
Just looked through the history and the belts and tensioners (aux and cam) were done at 60k about 14k miles ago. Cost a small fortune.

I will get a new aux belt and see what happens. also can you see if the tensioners on the belts aren't spinning (i.e. can you get a good look at them)?

By the way the 2.4 JTD 20v is a marvellous engine
If you are up for it

Loosen the wheel nuts on the drivers side front, Jack up the car on the same side and put an axle stand under the front suspension rear mounting point, remove the road wheel, get a good torch (powerful one) make sure all is clear of the belt run and start the car, look to the left of the large aux belt pulley (crank) and you will see the spring tensioner, the bearing on this can fail as well as the tensioner being seized, look to see if the tensioner wheel is fuzzy looking out of focus (sorry only description I can think of) this means there's excess play in the bearing and will need replacing, it will become obvious when you remove the tensioner as bearing will be loose and noisy when handled.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

156jtd

I have just done mine. it was the bottom tensioner (£42 from eurocar parts skf)
I had to take the engine mount off to get the bolt out of the tensioner. put car on ramp or jack up drivers side,support engine and remove the mounting in one big piece. Three 13mm af screws up to the body and five 15mm af bolts through ally mount into engine. I tried undoing big bolt that joins mount together but it snapped 19mm af head off!
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
How can the aux belt failing take off the cam belt? The cam belt is enclosed and the aux belt on the outside. What am i missing?
CJO
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
There are a number of forum users who have reported a broken Aux belt getting wrapped up in the cam belt and causing it to slip which is enough to cause dammage to the head/valves
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
How can the aux belt failing take off the cam belt? The cam belt is enclosed and the aux belt on the outside. What am i missing?
If it wraps around the crank pulley, the t/b is exposed a lot behind there, no plastic cover, it can foul the bottom t/b sprocket and lock it or make it jump/slip.

Last edited by Alfa 156 JTD; 25-05-11 at 20:22.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

156 Saloon

I have just developed a squeal like this too. Previous owner noticed this and paid 300+ squid for new aux belt & tensioner. It has been fine until recently. I can only guess its either adjustment or something else needs replacing?

Any ideas???

Thanks T

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , jtd , squeel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page