2.0l 156 belt change service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

2.0l 156 belt change service

Fellow Alfisti,

I've been lurking for a while, and can't see much discussion about doing the belt changes yourself. Why is this? Is it too hard due to the special tools? There is a rather good description of a 155 change at http://www.alfa155.com/155/Technical...seVariator.htm which I intend following.
Whilst the Alfa factory instructions use special tools, the 155 procedure seems to get around them all. Am I correct in assuming that the engine is the same?
Does anyone have any more suggestions, or can you point me to any more write-ups of the process?

Cheers,
david
------
David Masters
1989 ALFA75 TS
2000 Alfa 156 TS
Newcastle Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Re: 2.0l 156 belt change service

It's not only the belts ! if your Alfa has a cam variator it is recommended to renew that one as well, and you need a special tool for that. You also need the cam fixators to hold the cams in the same posision, another special tool ! also the tensioner must be renewed and the balancer belt (if applicable).. all in all it can be done, but it is not a simple operation ! and the space to work in is very cramped, you better have long thin fingers and hands...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder
Does anyone have any more suggestions, or can you point me to any more write-ups of the process?
Hi I recently changed variator, cam belt with tensioner and pulleys and ancilliary belt with tensioner. Time spent approx 6 hours. Never done it before. You get a Cam pulley fixator and that you use also for the variator.
I wrote a complete guide, but its in Norwegian. You might need a dictionary...
But there an almost complete description on http://home.hccnet.nl/jaap.bouma/PhaseVariator.htm
the only thing to be aware of is that on the newer engines in the back/hidden behind of the exhaust cambelt pulley there's a cam angle sensor. Beware when positioning the countertorque not to damage this thing. See pt 4 on pic attached.

The cam pulley removal/counter torque tool can be bought for approx 20 and you need the cam locking tools for 50.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Wave Re: 2.0l 156 belt change service

Hi David
Welcome to AO!

I think you have seen this, but this is the list of bits I got for a cambelt change on a 2.0 145. I didn't fit them myself though, so I can't help much there!

Click
Good luck with it!
AO Member

County: -

Hi downunder how can i save your attachment and keep the pictures? every time i try and save it when i open it there are no pictures just a red cross in the corner. Ross.
wrinx

The link above belongs to Jaap Bouma, an Ex(?) 155 driver and the link by "downunder" is the same article but directed from the www.alfa155.com site.

I saved the article to do my twinsparks variator and belts by creating a word document, copying and pasting the pictures across...hope this helps.

wrinx

AO Member

Cheers Wrinx that did the job, Has anyone had any luck with oil additives to quieten down the variator when it fist starts rattling??
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Has anyone had any luck with oil additives to quieten down the variator when it fist starts rattling??
Don't use any additional additives, just use a top spec Full Synthetic 10w60 oil and change it at least once every 12-months/12000miles.
If the variator has already started to fail other than making sure the solenoid is not blocked there is no solution other than a new variator (inc new cambelt & tensioner).
AO Member

David,

Where is the solenoid and how can it be checked? also is the noise actually mechanical or the engine dieseling because of the advanced cam timing?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , 20l , belt , change , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page