are all 2.0 ts engines interchangeable? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156/GT

are all 2.0 ts engines interchangeable?

as above..picked up a nice gtv to add to me collection
waterpumps gone and knackered the engine. so i'm wondering if i can use ,say a 145 cf2, or does it have to be one from a gtv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Rover 420 i.s

All the engines are interchangeable, however there can be differences in the connectivity of the engine sensors (shape of the plug), also exhaust manifolds can be different.

I replaced a 2.0 in a 156 (99 V plate) with a 2.0 from a 155 (96 p plate). Had to change all the engine sensors, exhaust manifold, plastic rocker cover and coil packs and air intake.

If you have the original engine though its really easy as you already have the bits that need changing.

P.S Whereabouts are you?

Last edited by alfamender; 02-03-11 at 13:23.
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

159 Sportwagon

WHOOT! Great news, I have been offered a well looked after CF2 to replace my CF3. happy happy pile!
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156/GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamender View Post
All the engines are interchangeable, however there can be differences in the connectivity of the engine sensors (shape of the plug), also exhaust manifolds can be different.

I replaced a 2.0 in a 156 (99 V plate) with a 2.0 from a 155 (96 p plate). Had to change all the engine sensors, exhaust manifold, plastic rocker cover and coil packs and air intake.

If you have the original engine though its really easy as you already have the bits that need changing.

P.S Whereabouts are you?
Thats good to know!
Im about 40 miles outh of Glasgow,So not in cup of tea range.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 03-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156/GT

okies..here's another question...are the heads the same on the cf 1 and 2? would it be possible to cannibalise me 145?
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Rover 420 i.s

Again yes, although some exterior bits are different as in manifolds. But the heads themselves are the same
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Older CF1 engines had different exhaust cam pulleys (the gaps in the sensor ring, specifically), which will confuse the ECU in a later car. Easily fixed though
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
I hope you don't mind the thread hijack but if you're interested I have a 1996 2.0 TS 145 Cloverleaf up for sale, the engine is in really good condition and it pulls like a train. There is an ad on the classifieds section of this site where I have left a full description.

It could probably use a cambelt change but I'd have thought you'd do that as a matter of course while transplanting the engine anyway?

As much as it pains me, I'm happy to see the car broken up if it means that more Alfa's stay on the road!

I'm not asking silly money either, I'm open to reasonable offers around 250 mark...

----------------------------145 Cloverleaf (Phase 1)--------------------------------
-----------------------------------Alfa Red----------------------------------------
-------------------------Supersprint exhaust (cat back)----------------------------
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

156 v6

how old is the old cf1 . just incase the engine swpa i am doing from a 145 to a 156 needs that doing as well. also i have a gtv lump that i will do the same too.
is it easy to spot the exhaust cam pully difference
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychochild187 View Post
how old is the old cf1 . just incase the engine swpa i am doing from a 145 to a 156 needs that doing as well. also i have a gtv lump that i will do the same too.
is it easy to spot the exhaust cam pully difference
CF1 are pre 1998 and are the alloy topped versions with a basic alloy intake manifold.
CF2 gained the plastic camcover and the large plastic variable intake manifold.
CF2 are engine type 32301. Engine type is on the chassis plate if you have the whole car to look at.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engines , interchangeable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page