Adding 2 Stroke oil to Diesel...... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Idea Adding 2 Stroke oil to Diesel......

Hi all, I've been looking into this subject and from what I can find it appears that by adding 300ml to a tank of Diesel will increase the lubrication of the fuel which was removed when they starting producing ultra low sulphur diesel.

So the 2 benefits of this are:

1. Reduced fuel system wear.
2. Reduction in engine noise.

I have bought a litre of oil(Jaso-FC spec) today and was wondering if anyone has done this??? and there experiences......

Cheers
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

rhett71

You've bought totally the wrong oil! I think you will find that Castrol R if it's still available is much more the oil of choice

Seriously though I don't know if garages still sell it but you used to be able to buy "upper cylinder lubricants" to be added to the fuel and I can't see any harm in what you are sugeesting, but Castrol R used to smell lovely!!

(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

The reason for buying JASO-FC spec oil is the low ash properties. My limited knowledge on the subject is that the other oil specs have a composition which would damage the dpf filter??? I was looking at the TC-w3 marine grade oil as it is ashless but saw some oil in Halfords today and had my trade card.

I Might be wrong.
rhett71

I suppose you have to look after the DPF like petrol users have to worry about CAT's? I've only ever used Redex injector cleaner and the local garage sells some superduper diesel at 10p a litre more than anything else, can't say I've noticed a difference with either of them?

I wonder if the fact that modern diesels now have DPF's might mean you can't run on cooking oil either? I also wonder what "marine grade" means?? Translates to "only for use in international waters" to me??

I think you might be better off looking for cetane boosters?

Let us know how you go on

(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

The 2 stroke oil is also very good at reducing the smoke from the old oil burners.....I'll let you know how it goes after tomorrow....
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
One thing to watch is that in order to reduce smoke, some 2 stroke oils no longer burn very well. They get expelled from the exhaust as liquid oil.
Thats what seemed to happen on my bikes anyway. The synthetic ones tend to get expelled as liquid oil, where as the mineral ones burn.

JASO FC spec has a requirement for reduced smoke compared to JASO FB
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey_saxo View Post
Hi all, I've been looking into this subject and from what I can find it appears that by adding 300ml to a tank of Diesel will increase the lubrication of the fuel which was removed when they starting producing ultra low sulphur diesel.

So the 2 benefits of this are:

1. Reduced fuel system wear.
2. Reduction in engine noise.

I have bought a litre of oil(Jaso-FC spec) today and was wondering if anyone has done this??? and there experiences......

Cheers
Dave
Disadvantages include 'smelling like an ice-cream van'
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Would be cheaper to check in a litre of vegetable oil per tank-it does the same thing-ie adds some lubricity due to lack of sulpur, for a fraction of the price.
AO Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Would be cheaper to check in a litre of vegetable oil per tank-it does the same thing-ie adds some lubricity due to lack of sulpur, for a fraction of the price.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on adding a bit of vegetable oil in to add some lubrication?
This was something I did with an old Honda, up to 40% Veg oil, but what about with these newer engines?
Rob
AO Silver Member

No, no, dont put that much in !

You only need a teaspoon full to make ultra low sulphur diesel the same lubricity as low suphur diesel.

I wouldnt put any more than 2 litres in per tank-I ve put a litre in per tank before.

I used to run my Tipo on 94% veg oil/3%petrol/3% diesel Redex, but that was an older, indirect injection, non common rail engine. The lift pump in the boot wont be able to handle the extra viscosity of veg if you out too much in and it ll break, then so will your common rail and your ll have a hefty bill ! Common rail engines are more complex to run on veg oil if they have a priming pump in the fuel system, although in theory, if you can get past this (by uprating the priming pump maybe) the common rail should have no trouble pumping it as the pressure is 16000bar (1600x atmospheric pressure, plus this engine is a development of the one used in the Tipo TD)...in theory.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
no relation with the tipo TD... that was an all alloy engine with wet sleeves...

the JTD is however related to the TS... hope I didn't scare you too much there...
AO Member

County: Durham
Cheers for your thoughts, I wasnt thinking of putting anywhere near the amount the Honda could take, but sounds like a small amount could help the engine out and increase it lifespan a bit to
AO Silver Member

Cuore, I am afraid you are not correct-the Tipo/Tempra/Dedra/Delta/145/146/155 TD engine has an iron block and so do ALL JTD engines (unfortunately)-the basis for the JTD engine was the Tipo platform's 1929cc diesel unit.

The first production diesel engine with an alloy block was PSA's TUD engine from 1986-the Tipo's engine started out as a 1.5 D in the 70s-with an iron block!

JTD engines are NOT related to the TS in anyway at all really, other than the fact both engines have their roots in 1970s Fiat petrol engine designs (Alfa having given their version twin spark heads after Fiat brought them out in 1986) and Fiat using their petrol block as a basis for the diesel unit in the 70s, whioch evenually became the 1.9 and 2.4 JTDs

Last edited by typos1; 02-03-11 at 14:54.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
adding , diesel , oil , stroke

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page