Cam Belt change. 750?!?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Glassy

Not Happy Cam Belt change. 750?!?!

I've just bought an Alfa 145 cloverleaf, and its due a cam belt change. I've just been quoted 750 from an Alfa garage?!?!?! Thats rediculous. I also called the AA Garage round the corner and they say only main dealers can do the change becuase it requires special tools. Is this the case, or does anyone know where I'd be able to get it done by an independant garage?

I'd really appreciate some help here. Desperation is starting to creap in....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Re: Cam Belt change. 750?!?!

It requires "Cam locking tools".
These can be substituted by some metal bars, but don't quote me...

The tools are here http://www.ebspares.co.uk/new23.htm
I'm sure someone on here rents them out. Failing that, they are about 150 to buy new. You would normally replace your cambelt, balancer belt, variator and pulleys (tensioners) all at the same time. Like this:
http://www.ebspares.co.uk/images/16%...%20timming.jpg
If you do all that, you would be looking at about 400 or so from an independant garage. Or you can buy all the bits you need from EB Spares and then just phone round to find a garage who is happy to do the work. Where abouts are you?
Glassy

Thanks Rick,

I'm based down in Surrey/Hampshire way. I've been looking on the net to try and find some independant garages, but all the links seem to be for main dealers only? 750 is very, very steep.

I dont mind paying 400 for an independant place to get it all done properly... Do you know any descent independant garages, or links to sites?

I appreciate your help Rick.

Glassy

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

Well.... if you join the Owners Club, you get a very useful Directory of Specilaists!

My geography "down there" is grim, but what about trying

Alfanatic in Fleet
01252 629159

or

Bianco in Horley
01293 821843

If either of them can help, you could use some of the money you save to join!!
www.aroc-uk.com
Glassy

Nice one Rick,

Managed to get the lot done plus a stern looking over for 420 by Alfanatic. It's still a kick in the nads, seeing I've not had the car for 24 hours yet, buts its deff better than forking out 750... I really appreciate you sorting me out with the number mate...

Hopefully it'll last till the 29th when it's getting done!

Thanks again,

Glassy

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

No probs. It's reassuring to have someone give a new car a good once over anyway.
145 Cloverleafs are not the cheapest motors to run, but certainly one of the most characterful and fun. Enjoy it!

Don't forget to join the club now!
Glassy

The lady at the garage seemed very polite and honest. She explained that they get Alfa 145 Colverleaf's in all the time where people haven't changed the cam-belt at 70k and its ended up costing them 1500 to fix. So I cant grumble about 400...

The price you have to pay for a good car ay? Ah well, straight on the MINT card.. haha..

I'll join when I get back from holiday mate... I'm off on hols in a few hours, so the car will get a nice rest on the drive way, ready to be sorted when I return...

Thanks again Rick. I appreciate it...

I paid 327 for all the belts and variator, so 420 fitted is a good deal.
alfa_146_1.8i_t.spark_16v

Thats is a hell of a lot , B & P down the road from me are very good on any car , i had the slave cylinder replaced on mine 70 all in , just got cambelt change with the Tensions changed , water belt change , new clutch and fitted all for 404 all in , he could have done the cam belt on its own but wanted the rest done , he quoted me 175 for cam belt and Tensions , why you people get so dear prices???

wrinx

Must agree with our friend with the long name....for 400-500 I'd expect the variator to be done as well. Cambelt cost me 100 a few years ago on its own, so add the tensioner and 175 is about right.

wrinx

AO Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
Must agree with our friend with the long name....for 400-500 I'd expect the variator to be done as well. Cambelt cost me 100 a few years ago on its own, so add the tensioner and 175 is about right.wrinx

Wrinx, I think we need clarify here. As far as I am aware, when doing the cambelt, it's a false economy not to do the tensioner, variator and balance shaft belt as well. If I'm correct in that:

1) What should a realistic price be (parts, labour & VAT) for all that?

2) Specifically what did you have done for the price you paid?

3) Specifically, what did glassy have done for the price?

4) 750 sounds a good earner. Should I go into the cam change business? I have a pair of cheap Woolworths mole grips, an old geology hammer and a 1" chisel. Thoughts?

I've been quoted around the 450 mark for the above. Is is worth me coming "up North" to have the job done? Could get a decent pint in at the same time
wrinx

You're right...GLassy just stated a camblet change to which I replied but I suspect the price of 750 would include more although you can never tell with Alfa prices!

...anywhere between 4-500 is usual for a full belt and braces job on a twinny.

wrinx

alfa_146_1.8i_t.spark_16v

but they are worth the money

AO Member

I do cambelts etc changes for 350 - 400 so glassy 420 ain't bad on a 2ltr as on the 2ltr you have the balancer belt and tensioner that the 1.8ltr dosen't have.

Ted

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , change , 750

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page