Cleaned EGR, but no massive improvement? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 JTDm 16V

Cleaned EGR, but no massive improvement?

Evening chaps/chapettes,

Its pretty well known that a cleaned and re-greased EGR valve can resolve issues with no power at low revs and excessive smoking.. So, I thought I'd give it a go as ever since I've had the 156 you can stamp on the throttle, and it'll pull slowly, then hit 2000RPM and all hell breaks loose; boost comes on hard and all the power and torque comes in. But nothing below 2000RPM.

Anyways, I got the valve assembly off (magnetic pickup tool essential as i dropped the gaskets twice!) and separated the valve from the solenoid. The valve half of the assembly was as you'd expect, coked up and full of soot (the car has done 135'000). Everything was still moving freely however so I just cleaned it all up and then moved onto the solenoid - Had that apart and this was/is absolutely spotless and moves freely. In fact, it looks brand new.

Still no improvement in sub 2000RPM performance though... Anything else I can be looking for? Boost pipes are all in good nick, and no faults recorded on the ECU.

Cheers
Stu

Last edited by semtex; 23-01-11 at 17:09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

Nowt

I've just figured out what's caused my loss of power below 2k revs, turns out it was the MAF sensor.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cleaned , egr , improvement , massive

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page