Fiat Bravo > Alfa V6 Engine Conversion - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 13-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Fiat Bravo > Alfa V6 Engine Conversion

hello People,
Am new here..i know i probably should be posting somewhere else for this :/, well i hope im in the right place

Well basically i have a fiat bravo(phase 1), and i had a sudden urge to try and attempt an engine conversion...and obvs i chose to do the V6...

Not even started the project yet, but basically i just need some advice on where to start ?
im gonna be buying another bravo, preferably the HGT, best base model to start with

now in your experience with the engines, what would be the best and most reliable v6 engine?
ive seen on ebay the old 164 3.0 12v, but then i deep down want the 2.5 24v...any thoughts on which one ?

i hope i made some sense in there

Thanks for any help guys
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I am sure it could be done, but it will be a lot of work.

It might be easier/cheaper to sell it, buy the HGT Bravo and then swap the engine for a 20V Turbo unit from a Coupe. That will be a much easier conversion, plus they are easy to tune..

There is a Turbo Bravo around these parts.

If it must be V6, the best compromise between cost/performance would be a 3.0 24v from a GTV or 166. (The 164 unit is different)

The 2.5 would be just as difficult to fit as the 3.0 and doesn't perform anywhere near as well IMO.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170)
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 13-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the reply..
now i would do the coupe 20vT conversion, but i dont think i could maintain a turbo model(funds wise) i know it sounds silly, that i said i want a V6..but i suppose i wont have any turbo issues

Hmm and ill look around for some 3.0 V6 engines then..would it be easier to have a working gtv/166 and swap everything over ? or to buy it separately ? to tell you the truth, i dont have too much space either. so having a bravo and a gtv on the drive aswell as my current bravo would be hectic :/

im still gonna go through with a conversion, so first off really is to buy a HGT..then start to shop about for a v6 & gearbox...
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I don't think there would be a massive difference in the running costs between a 20VT and an V6 to be honest.

The 20VT would most likely be better on fuel, and the Turbo shouldn't give trouble if it is looked after.

I have had a few turbo cars (Including Fiat Coupe's) and not had any turbo problems.
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
Heads up - there's a guy listing a 166 3.0 V6 on ebay that he's breaking. The listing says that the engine quite low mileage, and it's a 6 speed manual. Hop over to the 166 forum as someone posted a link to the listing.

But I've got to agree that a 20VT conversion would be the easier option. But then I'm biased as I bloody love the sound of the 20VT, and I know it's been done before so quite a lot more straight forward than trying to drop in a V6. But that's half the fun, isn't it
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 14-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

well that is a coincidence, as I asked the guy how much he'd sell it for...basically he said around 300-400.. any good people ?

and...the coupe conversion..it would be easier, but v6 is definitely a different conversion to be doing
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 18-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

well we agreed on a price that for 500 i could have the engine, gearbox and all the loom

thats not bad at all really, im rather chuffed with the price

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
> , alfa , bravo , conversion , engine , fiat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page