jtd still burning oil.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 02-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

Not Happy jtd still burning oil..

omg, i'm at my wits end..

My 147 jtd 16v m-jet..is still burning oil underboost and a tiny bit on idle..

Initially I thought it was the turbo shaft seals gone, so replaced that with a recon unit and an oil change+filter..

When I took it out around the block, the blue burning oil smoke appeared again when on light boost..

What could have gone wrong? I'm stressed beyond belief now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

Did you flush your intercooler before fitting recon turbo?
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 02-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

ye, the inlet side didnt seem to have any residues (not much)

The oil smoke is quite bad when on the slightest boost..

Have you heard of crankcase recirc possibly causing this?
(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 02-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

i.e. the PCV valve? I'm grasping at straws here.. :S
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefz View Post
omg, i'm at my wits end..

My 147 jtd 16v m-jet..is still burning oil underboost and a tiny bit on idle..

Initially I thought it was the turbo shaft seals gone, so replaced that with a recon unit and an oil change+filter..

When I took it out around the block, the blue burning oil smoke appeared again when on light boost..

What could have gone wrong? I'm stressed beyond belief now..
If you are sure that you were loosing oil on turbine bearings/seals, then first thing to do is to clean the intercooler and exhaust, because there could be some oil still in it...

Blue smoke from exhaust can be caused by:
- turbine bearings/seals failure (causes big oil consumption), check the play on shaft, and traces of oil in intercooler pipes.
- engine overfilled with oil, oil over max on dipstick, (causes blue smoke from exhaust), check the dipstick, and check the pipe coming from the oil/vapour separator.
- cracked cilinder head or gasket, with oil coming into compression chamber (causes blue smoke from exhaust).
- valve guides/bushes leaking oil (causes blue smoke from exhaust).
- piston ring's worn and engine is burning to much oil (causes big oil consumption), check the compression.

Last edited by losa; 10-01-11 at 09:50.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 03-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

Thanks for the feedback losa. I'd originally seem to start smoking all of a sudden..

I will leave it running again for 15mins and let it get warm see if its still awful..

I will take it over to Vehicle Surgeon and ask for a comp test when I can.

Thanks
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

Well, I've been on the phone to AlfaWorkShop, I tried taking the boost pipe off, running it with no boost in the inlet. Still oil smoke. (seemed to puff a bit more smoke when let-off the throttle..)

Took oil vapour recirc off, no oil comming out from the seperator.. + still burning oil..

Will be doing compression test. I am convinced it is piston ring(s) on a piston have failed..

any thoughts.

What should compression be when cranking?
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
mines started smoking again (only on start up)after i did my injectors i thought id cracked it.so my options now are turbo hot side(as i have no oil in my inlet/intercooler) or likewise piston ring/valve guides. have heard a full leakdown test is more usefull than a compression test or as well as.whats it like if you remove your dipstick while idling, i get a fairbit of blowby fumes also if i remove filler cap at idle same thing(compared to petrol cars that is,1st diesel so cant compare).
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Well, I've been on the phone to AlfaWorkShop, I tried taking the boost pipe off, running it with no boost in the inlet. Still oil smoke. (seemed to puff a bit more smoke when let-off the throttle..)

Took oil vapour recirc off, no oil comming out from the seperator.. + still burning oil..

Will be doing compression test. I am convinced it is piston ring(s) on a piston have failed..

any thoughts.

What should compression be when cranking?
Between 400-500 psi
With no more than 40 psi between cylinders
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 09-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

done a compression test which seems to be all good, all around 27-28 Bar..

Going to take the exhaust mani off/turbo/downpipe and inspect the exh ports and see if we can see the valves. Starting to think the valve stem seals might have failed in the cold weather or come unseated.(?) we be having a look at the exhaust side first..more likely than inlet (+ve boost prevent oil seeping down..)

any thoughts?
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
done a compression test which seems to be all good, all around 27-28 Bar..

Going to take the exhaust mani off/turbo/downpipe and inspect the exh ports and see if we can see the valves. Starting to think the valve stem seals might have failed in the cold weather or come unseated.(?) we be having a look at the exhaust side first..more likely than inlet (+ve boost prevent oil seeping down..)

any thoughts?
As I said, if leaking Turbo was cause of these problems, you should clean air intake pipes, intercooler, and exhaust, all of which could still be full of oil which is burning now.

As I understood that oil consumption appeared suddenly, I would rule out worn pistons (low mileage and compression test confirmed that) and valve seals (it takes time that they wear out little by little)...
I guess that you have checked the oil level (which rules out excesive oil vapours), and that you havent overheated the engine (which would cause gasket failiure).

As you didn't mentioned any oil consumption, only other option is that you have mistaken oil smell with unburnt diesel smell which is grey and smell really bad, and could be caused by:
- worn injectors
- clogged air filter, clogged intercooler...
(Post Link) post #12 of 17 Old 10-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

~it is a mystery!.. deffinately oil burning. The compressor housing on the coldside didn't seem oily much at all, so I think its not entering the inlet tract from the turbo, must be inlet manifold at the earliest..

I've never heard of anything else like this before, 'suddenly burning loads of oil' , the compression tests all seemed good, and the engine sounds like its running fine, except for the feint smell of burning synthetic when idling. As it warms up a tad, you start to see a hint of light blue smoke from the exh.. werid.

The turbo manifold + downpipe has been taken off again, were going to inspect the exh valves and see if any oil residues are getting past the stem seals. This started after it has been sat for 9days in -3degC . . . I'm convinced its linked to that..which makes me suspect a rubber seal somewhere?
(Post Link) post #13 of 17 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

As the downpipe seemed shiny with oil residue, while the turbo and manifold was off, I thought it a good idea to dry-out the exhaust system of oil with a heat gun.

147jtd16vexhaustoil.mp4 video by szbrozek - Photobucket

The system must be full of oil..
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
read through some of your previous posts.
did you decat?(decat can cause turbo to burn more oil, maybe even your new turbo?)
did you fit water-methanol?
ever done an engine oil flush?
what fuel do you run(and any addatives)?
i was running water-methanol for a while before decat.(always possibility its wetting some oily/sooty egr deposits into manifold/head that burn on start up)
then i really noticed mine smoking more on start up after my full decat, pre and main cat gone.
i changed to another brand of oil(same spec) which definately smoked worse(i dropped it early as it stank aswell)did a forte engine oil flush at this time,back to mobil 0w-40(smoked on selena wr 5w40 as well for 2 oil changes before).
i will still get the odd start up thats completely clean but most still get a second or 2 blue smoke.
this was basically standard car(smoke on start up only)
YouTube - jtd multijet smoking on start up
this was after decat but also with injector problem(lumpy/ running on 3)(smoking permanantly)
smoke still smelt like oil but must have been mostly injector related?
YouTube - injector sound recordings video tailpipe cold start
also thought might be rubber valve stem seal,tried forte seal conditioner before last oil drop, made no difference.
we will get to bottom of it.
(Post Link) post #15 of 17 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

The boost pipes are all fairly clean, not much oil in there, but the inlet manifold seems to be very oily.

The exhaust seems to be dried out of oil now, (all burnt off) , the manifold and turbo all all back together, and all the oil has been cleaned out...
When looking at the exhaust ports there was no evidence of oil, only soot. suspect it was turbo failure, and saturated exhaust system full of oil?
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

Seems to run without oil smoke now.! yay. Suspect it was a turbo oil control seal failure, burned alot of oil through exhaust system, condensed and saturated the entire system. Took a couple of hours with a 900oC heat gun to burn out all the residue in the system. After putting it all back together, it idled without smelling of smoke, and didn't puff then rev/lift off. , fingers xsd.
(Post Link) post #17 of 17 Old 24-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD, YZF600R

Back to burning oil again..! omg this is driving me insane.

It seems to have quite alot of air comming out of the filer cap / compared to my other jtd.? any thoughts.?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
burning , jtd , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page