Replacing engine & gearbox 3.0 v6 24v with a 2.0 TS or JTD or even a JTD ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Replacing engine & gearbox 3.0 v6 24v with a 2.0 TS or JTD or even a JTD ?

I have a Spider 2001 3.0 V6 with a cracked cylinder head and a very noisy gearbox (gears 1 through 5). it's done 140k miles an been in the garage for 2 anda half years, I've raided couple of parts for my other spider.

The value of this car with a repaired engine/ geabox would not be great. So my original Plan was to use it as a donor car to repair a crashed Spider/ GTV, but can't seem to find the right crashed car!

2nd hand V6 3.0 engines/ gearboxes are too expensive for my project, so iwonder if another option is to replace the engine and gearbox with another variant which is more readily available.

I guess I would need the engine ECU, but what other electronics would I need? (assume I would have all necessary mechanical parts such as starter motor etc.

What are folk's view on the feasibility/ ease of fitting the following:

2.0 TS with 5 speed gearbox (assume a post 1999 version)
2.0 JTS with a 6 speed box
3.2 v6 with a 6 speed box ( from a GT or GTA or 156)
2.0 or 2.4 JTD engine gearbox????

I understand that someone has fitted a 2.4 JTD to a spider! But I cannot find any technical details

Many thanks

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
its a step backward...
why...

Replacing the cylinder head and gearbox is the cheapest option, parts from other cars are compatible e.g. 156 are easily available for next to nothing, much cheaper than a conversion.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Please don't fit a Diesel to a 916 Spider...

As for a 2.0 why not just fix it up, sell it and buy a 2.0? You would have money left over, as V6's sell for quite a bit more due to their rarity.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 27-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Please don't fit a Diesel to a 916 Spider...

As for a 2.0 why not just fix it up, sell it and buy a 2.0? You would have money left over, as V6's sell for quite a bit more due to their rarity.
Its not that I'm desperate for a 2.0l, I'm trying to keep costs down to get the car back on the road as a commuter car, to keep value in my other (currently low millage) v6

And anyway I don't think the car will be worth much, it's done 140k hard-driven miles and there is lots of other things that need fixing!

With regards to the JTD engine - isn't the 2.4 much more powerful and a 2.0 TS ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
24v , engine , gearbox , jtd , jts , replacing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page